CNC Shark Help Needed - Totally Frustrated

GMW

CNC Shark Help Needed - Totally Frustrated

Post by GMW »

Last weekend was my first opportunity to use my new shark. I had received it the week before. I designed a small sign and cut fine with no problems as my first test. Exhibit 1 is a photo. I then cut the “Open” sign, Exhibit 2 from the V Carve tutorials and it cut fine. I then adjusted the depth of my first sign and started to cut it and half way through it started to re-cut the ‘Open” sign. I reloaded it and it did the same thing so I quite for the weekend.

This week I spent a few nights designing two new signs to carve. In the process of trying to load the signs today the I received numerous notifications to check USB connection because the control was not working. I would unplug and re-plug it in and it would work for a few seconds and then give me the notification again. It eventually stayed on so when I went to adjust X,Y, Z to zero my X got stuck on and would not shut down with emergency stop. I stopped everything and reloaded all programs and drivers. I then had major problems with USB making the connection. I do have USB 2.0. I use Windows XP with SP2. After disconnecting and reconnecting many times, it final stayed on. I loaded the code and began carving. Less than a third the way through it started to cut the “Open” sign from the tutorial from last week’s session. I scraped the wood and reinstalled all software drivers and regenerated the g-code and started again. One third through the project it plunged through an area it had already cut and cut the letter T from an area in the sign that it had not started yet. See Exhibit 3. Another slab of wood scraped. I have tied numerous other things to get it to work. New USB cable, same length, cut speed is at 30’ per minute, regenerating g-code, and renaming files. Do you think my controler is toasted?

The sign I was trying to carve is Exhibit 4.

Any ideas, it has been a very frustrating day. :cry:

GMW
Attachments
Exhibit 1.jpg.JPG
Exhibit 2.jpg.JPG
Exhibit 3.jpg.JPG
Exhibit 4.jpg

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: CNC Shark Help Needed - Totally Frustrated

Post by metalworkz »

Hello GMW,

Wow, from your story I can understand how you would be frustrated. In fact that is probably an understatement for what I would be calling it. I was going to guess that somehow the controller is losing control of the machine, but instead it seems as if it still has control but is confused. It may make sense to see it randomly plunge or raise the Z when control is lost but how would it choose to do another toolpath? Is there anyway the files could be corrupted before you loaded them? If your controller displays the toolpaths can you see anything that is not normal before cutting?
I know very little about USB connected controllers but have seen some skepticism about their use as a controller on other forums. Are there any tips on how to optimize your system to avoid controller interruptions? I hope someone with USB controller experience replies.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: axyz 7012

Post by gillzilla »

here's my starting thought on things, you mention removing and reloading everything, did you remove all but the file you want to cut from your sd card? and when you loaded g code did you pick the copy of the matching file from your computer? it sounds like it is getting some kind of multiple input rather than just the file you want at that time. not sure if any of this is helpfull, maybe look at my post titled "shark pro drivers" see if my problems match any of yours.

best of luck,
Brant

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I believe it's the SP2 causing the problems. XP has its own set of hurdles but the SP2 just add so many more. The Shark seems to work best with Older operating systems.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

GMW

Post by GMW »

Thanks to you that have responded. A call to Rockler led to an unanswered call to Next Wave Automation which led back to studing this this fourm where i found a user that had tried 3 computers and could not get it to work. I latched on to a second computer loaded up the software and surprise, surprise, surprise - it all worked! I have no idea what the conflict was but it was making the controller do some very strange things. I have carved signs all afternoon without a hickup.

G :D

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello G,
I'm glad to see you've finally got the machine problems resolved. Let the chips fly!
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake