Cut2D-K2CNC-Mach 3 NOOB question

Timeboxer

Cut2D-K2CNC-Mach 3 NOOB question

Post by Timeboxer »

I've just started making sawdust with my new router but am running into something that is stumping me. I'm a total Noob so bear with me.

In Cut 2D, I start with a with a block 2.6" x 2.6" x 1.5h". I draw a pocket 2.25" x 2.25"x .5" deep, cutting from the center. (see attached)

I output the gcodes to K2CNC g-code (inch)(.tap), open and run it in Mach3, and end up with a pocket that is only 1.2"x 1.2"x .25 deep. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bert
Model of CNC Machine: K23925

Re: Cut2D-K2CNC-Mach 3 NOOB question

Post by Bert »

When I first got my K2CNC up and running I tried the K2 post processor on V-Carve, but things just seemed to not go right (it could have been my learning curve). I changed the post to Mach2/3Arcs(inch)(*.txt), a little further down the post list, and things have run much better since then. If you have any more K2 problems please feel free to PM me. I love the machine but the initial set up was challenging.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

You might need to calibrate your settings in Mach. Ask if you don't know how to do this. I might be able to walk you through it.

Nick

Timeboxer

Post by Timeboxer »

Thanks for the input guys ...Bert, I tried saving it out to the Mach2/3 arcs format, and it cut the pocket just a little bigger, but still nowhere near the right size. :(

Nick, if you have any suggestions or links to what might work in in terms of calibrating Mach3, I'm all ears...
Thanks,
Bob

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Bob,
In mach3 under the 'Settings' tab there is a small axis calibration application with a button right above the 'Reset' button marked 'Set Steps per Unit'. Click that button and it will basically walk you through the process to calibrate each axis of the machine. Input a distance to move the axis and hit OK and Mach will move it that distance, but you need to accurately measure the actual distance it travels and input that into the following pop-up window. Mach will calculate the difference from what was input and adjust the ratio to correct the traveled distance. Try it again and verify that it is indeed correct. I hope this helps but if the first attempt shows the machine is moving the correct distance there must be something else at fault.
Good luck with it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Timeboxer

Post by Timeboxer »

Wes,
thanks, that was the problem, and the drawings are now cutting to the drawn size....but now I'm have another problem. I watched the Homing,Limits and Offsets video at the Mach3 site (http://machsupport.com/videos/), but when I hit the Ref All Home button, my machine homes to the switches on the x and z axes, but not on the Y. It doesn't move at all . Any advice? thanks

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Bob,
I'm glad the axis calibration got things to cut at the correct size, but now what is going on with the Y axis? Do you have all the axis set up to 'auto zero' when referenced in the Homing and limits set up chart? I usually just home one axis at a time and I know if one homes and does not reverse the switch is active and will not home another axis until the axis is backed off of the switch. If you use the diagnostics tab and reference the axis from that page you will be able to see if the Yellow LED's for any axis are lit after homing. Do you think the axis right before the Y axis will home could be sitting on the switch and thusly keeping the Y from homing?
That is my first guess, and will wait to see your reply.
The other question regarding the home switches is do you know how they are wired?
Usually wired in series with normally closed if I am thinking right.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

Timeboxer

Post by Timeboxer »

Wes,
I jog to more or less the center of travel on all of my axes and then hit Ref all Home. The x and z axes move to the switches and back off, but Y just stays put. It jogs and cuts fine on the Y though.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Bob,
Have you ever tried to just home the Y axis by itself? You can do this on the Diagnostic tab page and then you will know if it works at all. I would think if the wiring was done in series and one switch did not work none of them would work?
Sometimes the axis in question may need to be homed negative if it travels the wrong direction when homed, and you need to stop it if it does that before it reaches the end of travel, and check the home reversed box.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Sorry Bob I lost touch on this one with you but you are in good hands with Wes. He knows way more than I do!!

Nick

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Bob,
I forgot about the original thread you posted, and decided to see if I could post the file here and preview. Here is what I got with the general info you sent and I used a .25" dia end mill for the pocket. I don't see anything peculiar with the file I made and perhaps you can take a look and see if it is what you wanted to do. Also is a preview from Cut2d.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: