could be a MACH problem?

Joe Bloggs
Vectric Apprentice

could be a MACH problem?

Post by Joe Bloggs »

Greetings.

I am running mach 3 on a 4X8 joes hybrid rack and pinion machine. X is the 8foot axis.

Now I am experimenting with some CEDAR for 3d work. When I raster along the X axis it is smooth. However, we want to raster in they Y direction so we can machine across the grain.

When I machine in the raster Y direction the movement of the machine is jerky.

I have Constant velocity enabled. stop on angles greater than 85 degrees. I just started the tool path so it is doing the roughing with a 1/8" ball nose and the first pass there are no z plunges so that cannot be the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Joe Bloggs
Vectric Apprentice

Re: could be a MACH problem?

Post by Joe Bloggs »

OK, now I started a finishing pass and it is smooth as silk. So it must be the way aspire is calculating the roughing pass.

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Was the roughing pass faster than the finish pass? The jerkiness, was it constant length of jerk or was it long and short jerks, assuming there was no z plunge. Also were you running steppers or servos?

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Joe,I found on mine if I select the plasma setting in general config when doing 3d work it smooths out the operation. When I switch back to cutting cabinet parts I shut off plasma and it won't round my corners.
Test it on some thing and see how it does!

Nick

Joe Bloggs
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Joe Bloggs »

The part was 5 inches wide. It seemed to stop halfway through the travel as if constant velocity was making an exact stop. Do you think it could be look ahead? Everything is at install defaults except stop at angles greater than 85.

Joe Bloggs
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Joe Bloggs »

Steppers, constant length. Both toolpaths were 150ipm with half bit diameter as depth of cut. Step over for roughing was 40 step over for finishing was 8%.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Try setting your look ahead further I think i have mine set at 200 and I have my angle set to 90 or 100

Did you try the plasma setting?????

Nick

gdb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home built router Home built 3D printer

Post by gdb »

Joe, I had the same problem and turned off the tool path screen lower left on the Diagnostics page. Took care of the problem. I guess it's a Video Card problem?

Glen
Glen

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Those settings look OK, and similar enough to work correctly. With my MACH before the Aspire 2.05 patch, my roughing passes would have an odd movement every once in a while, from stopping to raising the Z and go back to cutting properly.