Can the CNCSharkPro use dxf files bought commercially?

Davey

Can the CNCSharkPro use dxf files bought commercially?

Post by Davey »

I am new to the CNC tool. I just purchased the CNCSharkPro and I am totally lost. I bought some files with dxf extensions. I read the literature and visited the Rockler store before I purchased and talked to them. Apparently there support is limited now that I have bought it.. My question is how do I get a .dxf file to load in the 1.4 control program. I can run a gcode file just fine, and the machine performs as expected.
Thanks in Advance.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Can the CNCSharkPro use dxf files bought commercially?

Post by Adrian »

Usually you would load a DXF file into a program such as Cut2D, VCarve etc and then toolpath it and generate the GCode from there.

Some control software does allow you to go directly from a DXF file but I'm not familiar with the Shark software.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I have one as well. The file must be converted into a G Code file first before it can run on the Shark.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Davey

Post by Davey »

Thank you very much. I know it must seem a simple question. I have Vcarve pro 5.0 that came with the unit.
I just needed a little direction. That cleared the air for me to understand a little bit more, knowing I am on the right path so I can continue with the tutorials on Vcarve pro. The Rockler people told me I could just load the dxf files up.
Thank you, very much
David

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Hi;
I also am new to the world of CNC with a shark pro system. The solution to your problem is to install the VCarvePro 5.0 software then import the dxf file into VCP. After that set the material size, orientation etc. Be sure to download the post processor files from nextwave automation place those in the correct folders for VCP to find. The last step is to generate a .tap file which you will load into the control program. Be sure to have the SD card in the controller so it can load the compiled g-code into the card. Next mount your work piece then using the jog functions of the control program move the router to where you want to set your 0,0,0 location then click on the xyz 0. Be sure your work piece is at least as thick as you told VCP or else you will cut into your table. Be sure to watch the shark run for the first piece because it doesn't have limit switches and can get into trouble if the g-code is wrong. Another thing I have run into is that on start-up or restart after power down if you don't move the gantry and re zero the controller sometimes gets the wrong zero point and starts way off the 0,0,0. Have fun!!! I really enjoy mine!!!

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Do a search on shark. You see lots of discussion on the machine. The good news is it is a good machine. Most of the hard ware issues clear up quickly, now if I could just work on those operator errors......Oh, your software from Vectic is wonderful and any issues with it have been solved here... so just asked, We were all newbies.....once,, well maybe some were just born wizards.

Davey

Post by Davey »

I have enjoyed it a great deal, and once I got used to the lingo and controls, everything clicked in place. It has been an extremely easy piece of equipment to have in my collection. I invested in the latest corel suite x4 and I have figured out I didn't really need that, for what I do. But hey you can never have to much can you. <L>.