cutting depths

methurman

cutting depths

Post by methurman »

Hi,
Here I am again still having trouble with tool depths. This time it has to do in the engraving mode. When we making a sign and trying to use a tool depth of .125 in my flat depth, I find that is not cutting deep enough so I change it to .250 and I find that still parts of the letter or all of them are not deep enough so I have even expieremented and set the depth to .4 with the same results. Does the letter size and font play a controlling part in this? I have learned to cheat by setting my Z zero to 10 or 20 thousands deeper but you know this results in a minor hole in my work. Please help!!
Thank you,

Dave

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: cutting depths

Post by kilrabit »

Engraving?

Are you using a single line font?
Are you using a dragging tool, mill, or V engraving?

Let us have a little more information, or post a file so we can look at it.

methurman

Post by methurman »

Sorry about that. We are just using an engraving tool, 90 degree v-bit. We are using a double line font. We are trying to not let any of our letters touching. I do not understand why when we change our font depths in toolpaths, nothing changes.
By the way what is a dragging tool?
Thanks,
Dave

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

People have different definitions of things. What I consider engraving is fonts very small and using a very small v bit or a diamond point drag tool, which you drag on the metal to a depth of a few thousandths.

It sounds like you are vcarving, the depth of your bit is determined by the width of the font you are carving. Vectric will only cut as deep as the bit will fit into the font width. A 60 degree will go deeper than the 90, because of the taper of the bit, which allows the bit to go deeper and fit between the font vectors. Also the 45, 30 degree will go deeper also, then set your flat depth for the maximum depth of cut.