A new and exciting problem for the "Pros" out there!

tdoyle

A new and exciting problem for the "Pros" out there!

Post by tdoyle »

Hi Everyone!
I've searched the forum and can't find a problem exactly like mine..so here we go!
Working with a Shark...Mach 2...2D cut and V Carve Pro, on XP.

Everything was fine for six months..except MY stupid mistakes..but thats another post.

Then...I found that my projects were going haywire. Super deep cuts in the middle of a project. (All simple lettering, nothing fancy) letters running downhill etc.

I found that both X and Z were stopping even while jogging manualy. Maybe Y also, but I haven't caught it yet. I hate to use the word "Binding" because it is misleading here. Everything is straight, but thats what it looks and feels like. They would run a short while, then stop and just vibrate. The numbers on the mach 2 screen were spinning like they were still moving.

The stopping points are random...may stop after 2 inches...or could go back and forth 3 times without a problem. Cooler temps seem to effect it. Last light (85 degrees) I thought I had it licked, until it plunged in the middle of a sign. This morning (70 degrees) it is sticking after about 2 seconds of jog. My g-code calls for a flat .10 depth and that is looking good. No changes via the software. I even went back to square 1 and used the sample "Open" sign from VCarve. I ended up with a Christian FISH shape! Very cool, but not what I was trying for.

Everything is VERY clean and lubercated with dry lube, not wd-40. All wires have been removed, checked, cleaned. Nothing has changed on the computer. It is a dedicated unit..no games or music. No internet. I pulled the power box apart and checked for dust and loose connections. Nothing.

When the unit is powered off I can turn the motors by hand...no drag or tight spots during the entire line of travel.

I'm new at this, and my projects are very simple. But at this point, lettering on a 5 inch board is out of the question. I'd be lucky to get two letters. However, the letters that I DO get are perfect!
My thanks to everyone taking the time to think this problem over.

Tim

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: A new and exciting problem for the "Pros" out there!

Post by mezalick »

I had a loose wire on the 25 pin connector which is in the box that you connect your USB cable to. It was causing the signals to “arc”.
After multiple tries to repair it, they sent me a new box.
Check the wiring again.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

could it possibly some sort of electrical interference?

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

tdoyle

Post by tdoyle »

Thank you both for your input,
I just went out and tore the box apart. Everything looked good, but I touched and tighteded every wire possible.
Checked the board for cracks...
I also checked the voltage to the building, 118 volts.
Same issue, random stops during jog.
Anyone with more ideas, please feel free to jump in! Thanks much...Tim

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

Check static discharge from the dust collection and router or spindle. I had that problem from the dust collection being to close to the motor wires.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

OK, going out on a limb, how about slow USB transfer speed.

Take a look at this;
http://windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index. ... leID=27063

It appears that XP lists the USB ports as standard ports. You will need USB2.0 to get the speed you need.
I still feel that it is an computer/electricial problem. The USB transfer rate would fall into that list.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

i don't have shark router... i just read many post in the recent time about lost steps...
my suggestion would be there's the software hardware posts... someone of the shark users should post his settings, or all... and you can compare your own...

during jog i had also lost steps..because in jog mode the controller works different way... i played almost a week to find out the right sttings...

for me the help was to lower down the maximum ... i lovered the maximum to 18000 hz...it does mean for me about 100 inch per min or less...
even my router has ballscrews and good ways... still i'm not sure really need 200-300 ipm maximum speed...since i lowered it works smooter...
i also tried mach3... i bought a computer with 2.8 ghz clockfrequventz.. i should set around 120-150khz the mach... but there's no realreason for... (also not available in mach)
i also can say all stepper user.. just lower it.. still it will enough fast... around 500 rpm the stepper works best... and with this... 500/5 as the turn/inch... it will be already 100 inch/minute... these routers are not industrial... with oversized servos... also a rack and pinion router with 500 rpm might be run already with 200 or more ipm...

thanks
viktor

tdoyle

Post by tdoyle »

My thanks to everyone for the very much needed help. After speaking with a factory rep, it is looking more and more like the computer is causing the issue. I haven't solved it TOTALY yet, but by simply creating a new user (on XP) I was able to jog 80% better. It still screwed up a test sign, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks Michael for the tech link...I think you just about had it pegged.

Tim

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

when i installed the mach... i uninstalled ALL program as looking for uptdate, like printer... or the wininstaller, also i turned off the eventwatcher or what ever name...i cleaned out totally the computer.. i have checked in the task manager what programs are runnig.... screensaver, energysaver and all similar turned off and uninstalled... i did not create new user, after i turn on the computer it without "sign in" run...
i left the minimal basic.. still i thinking uninstall internet explorer... anyway it is not connected to the net...
still i'm not sure accidently might popping up some update of a program and it will interrupt the mach, and there's the lost step...