Z Axis 1" Problem

rickbw
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC

Z Axis 1" Problem

Post by rickbw »

I have Mach 3 software with a CNC from RouterParts. I use Vectric Aspire 10. I can't figure out what my problem is. Each time I zero the Z axis (manually) and then load a file, my bit offsets by 1". As an example if the bit is at a Z height of 1.800, with the file loaded, when I go to "Start Cycle" the bit raises another inch and proceeds to attempt to run the cycle 1" above my material. If I then hit reset, close the file, re load the same file & re zero the Z axis (manually), and then start cycle again, the file runs correctly and the bit is OK. I have also had the problem where the bit lowers 1" from the 1.800 height and then proceeds to DIG into the wood project (I now know better and watch with my kill switch every time before this has a chance to happen). Any ideas what is causing this behavior? Its very frustrating to have to re zero 2x for every file.

I'm currently doing the Solunar box by Michael Taylor. When I am using the V Bit, the CNC raises 1" at the start (the Mach 3 software still says 1.800, but the bit raises 1 more inch, so physically its at 2.8, but Mach 3 still shows 1.8). When I use the .25 EM, the CNC goes down 1" when I start (in other words it starts at 1.8, lowers 1" to physically be at 0.8 and Mach 3 still says 1.8). Each time I reload the file and then manually set the bit to Z zero, it works fine.....

Thanks, Rick Wize

rickbw
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Z Axis 1" Problem

Post by rickbw »

Not sure why the emoji shows up when I type 1.8 but anyway its meant to read 1.8!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Is your material by chance 1" thick? And if so are you setting the Z-zero in Aspire to the material top or machine bed?

rickbw
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rickbw »

I always set Z zero to the top of the material. The issue occurs regardless of thickness of material. But thanks for responding.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Only thing I can think of is to check your tool length offsets in Mach3.

Since you are touching off the tool they should all be set to 0.

Tool length offsets are picked up via the T01, T02, etc if I recall correctly. That could account for different behaviors, maybe? Maybe not since you said you that when you do it a second time the problem goes away.

Ahhh, one other thing, Mach3 can get a little strange sometimes. I had an issue a while back that it would take two tries just to get it to start up. Seems some files got corrupted because when I copied a backup into to the folder everything started working correctly. I hate stuff like that, I would just as soon know what was wrong.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns