Vision 2550 V4 Controller

JMoriearty
Model of CNC Machine: Vision 2550

Vision 2550 V4 Controller

Post by JMoriearty »

I have a Vision 2550 Router. They seem to try to make you use their Vision software. My vision software connects to the machine and sends directly, but is featureless, so I use V-Carve Pro.

To send a file I have to use their "Machine Tools" and drop the V-Carve file into a hot folder. However, since I have changed computers, this PC will not communicate through the networks unless I use their Vision design software. Their machine tools will not connect to my router.

Soooo.....my question is.....does anyone know of a different software or Post Processor to use for this machine? If there was any way I could remove their software completely from my system, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I do need their software for my engraver functions on that machine (separate head with surface detection for engraving).

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Re: Vision 2550 V4 Controller

Post by Mark »

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge, I believe that the Vision software is also the control software for the machine.
I don't believe that the Vision software can be removed unless you wish to retrofit the machine.

Perhaps somebody withe Vision machine tool will chime in and confirm or dismiss this.

I hope that this helps.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

since I have changed computers, this PC will not communicate through the networks unless I use their Vision design software. Their machine tools will not connect to my router.
Sorry, it gets a little confusing when talking about network routers and CNC Routers ... are you saying that their machine tools will not connect to your network router?
If so did it work previously?
Maker of sawdust

JMoriearty

Post by JMoriearty »

I’m sorry, I should have said switch, not router.

I can log in with another computer with the exact same configuration, but not the computer I replaced it with. I have even tried removing all firewalls and antivirus completely to no avail.

The computer that will function had the same issue when I hooked it up. I spent a full day with tech support from Vision and they finally said, it just might not work with that computer. You may have to buy a new one.

So, I picked and poked and eventually found that it would only work with a specific IP address. I could change the IP address to anything else and it would stop working. That hasn’t worked for this computer. It is the same make and model as the other machine, exactly the same software profile in every way. The only difference is 16g of memory on the new one and a SSHD.

So, I’m stumped. I have even tried to run everything on a different subnet mask, to no avail. I can ping the machine all day long....I can run the vision software and connect and engrave or cut....but I can’t get machine tools to link up.

This same computer used to be the control computer for the CNC until the hard drive crashed. The computer that works with it now was a temporary solution while I changed the HDD and recovered this machine. It’s a pretty odd situation.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman

Post by WNC_Ed »

Looks like the V2550 utilizes a static IP on both type of network setups of 192.168.5.100 only.
I assume you are not using the supplied gray crossover cable at all in your network setup? A crossover cable looks like a cat5 cable but isn't.

Have you tried the direct computer to controller setup using the supplied gray crossover cable? If it were me I would start there, see if I could establish a working connection directly and then move to the network setup. A standard cat5 cable won't work, you will need the crossover cable.
Maker of sawdust

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I had a computer "guru" do what he called ghosting on a hard drive I thought was toast. With a replacement ghosted hard drive, I was up and running again. It may be worth asking a local PC shop to give it a try.
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

JMoriearty

Post by JMoriearty »

I have tried using a crossover, not just going through my switch to no avail. The issue is specific to their software, one of those horrible quirks.
1) I can ping the router with no issue
2) I can send files to the router through their Vision Engraving software, it uses a spooler to send the file instead of their Machine Tools controller connection manager.
Everything was set up and SHOULD work just fine. I even went through the antivirus and firewall and gave full access to every component of machine tools. I have tried it with the firewall and antivirus off and with them uninstalled. There is nothing that SHOULD interfere.

I called their "Tech Support" today and the "Technician" remoted in after taking 90 bucks because I'm a month out of warranty. She worked on my computer for a couple of hours and managed to delete all of the machine tools files from my manufacturer dongle, uninstall the machine tools from the computer but it still thinks its installed because when I download their machine tools to reinstall, it only gives me a repair or uninstall option.

To top it off, she messed up all the settings in my Vision Engraving software, their design and send software that works, at least for 2d paths. It took me an hour to fix that after the phone call. Best of all, at 6:30 my time, she tells me that they are closing and I need to call back on Monday.

Seriously, the WORST TECH SUPPORT EVER!

I'm glad she ditched my call, there is no telling what damage she could do to my computer. Her final answer was, there must be a virus on your machine. You need to call the Geek Squad out to fix it.

Seriously lady, I was a field service engineer for Bell and Howell for 12 years. The Geek Squad isn't going to help. The issue is your machine tools are 3 years old and Install Shield doesn't know how to handle it....update your stuff!

And rant over. I just need to find control software that actually works. I will flat out NEVER buy another Vision machine. Love the hardware, hate the software and customer "service".

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman

Post by WNC_Ed »

Dang, I know that must be more than frustrating.
Hope they get it sorted for you on Monday.
Maker of sawdust