Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

Post by wmgeorge »

I have a new 6040 Chinese router with Mach3 controller in my shop still needing to be assembled. Purchased from a US vender and Licensed Mach3 and computer with a parallel port. In the past I have used VCarve Pro 5.5 with another brand of controller and router. I work in Metric, so.... which flavor of Post Processor for Mach3 do I use?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

Post by Adrian »

Mach 2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Thank you, I was not sure. I know it had to be mm but unsure about the other.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you install mach3 on your system you will be asked to select the native units for it to work with, since you wish to use metric units then you would select metric when setting up the profile for your new CNC machine. Then as Adrian has already said use the metric pp within the Vectric software when saving toolpaths :lol: :lol:

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Well right now I need to get the machine running. A Either the parallel port is not configured right in Mach3, but the E Stop shows as tripped when I press so at least its connected. B. None of the setup xml files I have used is correct which I find hard to believe. Going to be using the DVOM today to trouble shot.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Problem solved. my computer LPT port was at a different address than the Mach3 default. Changed to that address in the software and bingo it works. Not one of the "Help" menus suggested that as a problem?? Running on a old Lenovo T43 laptop, so far without issues.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

wmgeorge wrote:Problem solved. my computer LPT port was at a different address than the Mach3 default. Changed to that address in the software and bingo it works. Not one of the "Help" menus suggested that as a problem?? Running on a old Lenovo T43 laptop, so far without issues.
You will need to keep a close eye on it if you are running from a laptop using the parallel port, from what I have read people generally advise against using laptops because the output voltage from the parallel port isn't normally high enough. My first set up was via the parallel port & I had laptops at the time fitted with parallel ports that I didn't even try because I was advised not to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky for me I also had a couple of PC cases & enough components lying about to be able to build something suitable. It ran using the parallel port for maybe 3 or 4 years before I upgraded to Ethernet control :lol: :lol:

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

I tested my laptop parallel port and it outputs 4.8 volts. The control laptop cost nearly $2k when new and the Lenovo brand is all I use for a laptop anyway, except for my MacBook Pro.
I also disabled all the power saving, automatic updates and the like. Not on the www and I have all the virus checkers and etc removed. I am a old time computer user and familiar with all that stuff. FYI USB ports can have power saving "features" also. I do have a UC100 USB convertor coming but I may just send it back as unneeded.
Thanks for the reply!

Gary54
Model of CNC Machine: 6090 GZ

Post by Gary54 »

Looking for PP for Rotary CNCEST mach 3 ..
the vectric Mach 3 Wrap does not work
Please help spent days on this problem

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

the vectric Mach 3 Wrap does not work
Please help spent days on this problem
Happy to help, but we need more information.
  • Is the rotary parallel to the X or Y axis?
  • Does it have its own driver or are you moving the X or Y cable to the rotary?
  • Are you able to turn the rotary directly from Mach3 using G1 commands such as

Code: Select all

G1 A45
  • Are you seeing an error message somewhere along the process? If so when, and can you provide a screenshot of the error message?
It will also help if you can Zip and upload:
  • the CRV or CRV3D file
  • the post processor file you are using (it has a a.PP extension)
  • the toolpath file produced
To upload a file/photo click on the Upload attachment button below the message area
Click on Choose File and select your file
Finally, click on Add the file to upload it to the forum

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
For screenshots please use the Windows Snipping tool. These are far easier to read than photos taken with your phone.

On many Windows systems you can also use <Windows-key><Shift><S>
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop