Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 pm

I have a new 6040 Chinese router with Mach3 controller in my shop still needing to be assembled. Purchased from a US vender and Licensed Mach3 and computer with a parallel port. In the past I have used VCarve Pro 5.5 with another brand of controller and router. I work in Metric, so.... which flavor of Post Processor for Mach3 do I use?
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Fine Line Automation Saturn 2 4x4 ESS

Re: Mach3 which PP for 6040 Router

Postby Adrian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Mach 2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

Thank you, I was not sure. I know it had to be mm but unsure about the other.
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby martin54 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 am

When you install mach3 on your system you will be asked to select the native units for it to work with, since you wish to use metric units then you would select metric when setting up the profile for your new CNC machine. Then as Adrian has already said use the metric pp within the Vectric software when saving toolpaths :lol: :lol:
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Well right now I need to get the machine running. A Either the parallel port is not configured right in Mach3, but the E Stop shows as tripped when I press so at least its connected. B. None of the setup xml files I have used is correct which I find hard to believe. Going to be using the DVOM today to trouble shot.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Problem solved. my computer LPT port was at a different address than the Mach3 default. Changed to that address in the software and bingo it works. Not one of the "Help" menus suggested that as a problem?? Running on a old Lenovo T43 laptop, so far without issues.
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby martin54 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:34 am

wmgeorge wrote:Problem solved. my computer LPT port was at a different address than the Mach3 default. Changed to that address in the software and bingo it works. Not one of the "Help" menus suggested that as a problem?? Running on a old Lenovo T43 laptop, so far without issues.

You will need to keep a close eye on it if you are running from a laptop using the parallel port, from what I have read people generally advise against using laptops because the output voltage from the parallel port isn't normally high enough. My first set up was via the parallel port & I had laptops at the time fitted with parallel ports that I didn't even try because I was advised not to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky for me I also had a couple of PC cases & enough components lying about to be able to build something suitable. It ran using the parallel port for maybe 3 or 4 years before I upgraded to Ethernet control :lol: :lol:
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:30 pm

I tested my laptop parallel port and it outputs 4.8 volts. The control laptop cost nearly $2k when new and the Lenovo brand is all I use for a laptop anyway, except for my MacBook Pro.
I also disabled all the power saving, automatic updates and the like. Not on the www and I have all the virus checkers and etc removed. I am a old time computer user and familiar with all that stuff. FYI USB ports can have power saving "features" also. I do have a UC100 USB convertor coming but I may just send it back as unneeded.
Thanks for the reply!
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Return to Control Software related questions