Mach 3 Windows 7 Setup Questions

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Mach 3 Windows 7 Setup Questions

Post by dbrook »

My Mach 3 control computer motherboard died and I replaced the computer with a systems running Windows 7. This is my first Windows 7 system so I am plowing new ground with the new operating system. I think I have turned off all Windows 7 features that I can find that might impact Mach 3 but due to my lack of knowledge of Windows 7 I am not sure I have everything setup to allow Mach 3 to run right. I hope that there are somebody on the forum that is successfully running Mach 3 under Windows 7 that can give me some guidance in setting up Windows 7 for Mach 3.

Question 1.
Do any of you that are running Mach 3 under Windows 7 know of a list or have a list of things needed to done to Windows 7 to allow it to run Mach 3 without issues that you would be willing to share?

Question 2.
On the Mach support page they show a memory override zip file listed under the Vista heading. Is this something that is needed to run Mach 3 under Windows 7?

Any information any of you would be willing to share on how to sort up Windows 7 for Mach 3 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

adam_m
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Re: Mach 3 Windows 7 Setup Questions

Post by adam_m »

Hi Dan,

I run MACH in Windows 7 without issue. I've recently installed a smoothstepper and there were some suggestions on their website that might be helpful (https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-windows#Andys) I have not performed anything out of the normal when initially installed other than a clean install of the OS.
On the Mach support page they show a memory override zip file listed under the Vista heading. Is this something that is needed to run Mach 3 under Windows 7?
I did not install this.

Is there a particular issue that you are having?

Adam,

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What you haven't said is what version of windows 7 you are running, if it is 32 or 64 bit & how you have your motion control set up, are you using parallel port, USB or Ethernet ?

If you are comfortable making changes to the operating system then it is well worth checking out Black Vipers website, there is a lot of info on how you can optimise your operating system not just for cnc control but just in general :lol: :lol:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/

Can't be 100% certain but I am sure I read somewhere that mach3 won't run on a 64 bit operating system using parallel port control, it will run happily on windows 7 pro 64 bit using an Ethernet motion control card as that's how I have it set up :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I WAS running Mach3 in Win 7.

I bought the computer refurbished at Best Buy for I think $250 with win7 - 64 bit.

I didn't do anything at all to it.

I loaded up Mach3. I did have an XML file that was configured for my machine, but that is nothing special really. The XNL file has NOTHING to so with windows at all. The XML is nothing more than saving the setup in mach3. All the settings like motor control, acel/decel, distance settings, Mach3 configurations, that is all.

My machine is hooked up to my computer via a USB cable. Mach3 is not USB compatible, so the machine manufacturer supplied an app that runs inside Mach3 to allow the USB to be used instead of the parallel cable.

I recently upgraded to win 10 and I changed nothing.

I was also running on win8.1 - again, nothing special.

In summary - you should not need to do anything at all. Install Mach3, carefully follow the mach3 install instructions, configure your machine and that's it. Sounds easy doesn't it? All I am saying is that you don't need anything special just because you are installing in Win7.

Win7 is one of microsoft's better operating systems.

But maybe - I am just lucky.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If you are using an external motion controller, than you shouldn't have to do anything.

If you are using the parallel port, then you MUST use a 32 bit version of Windows 7.
I would try running it as is, before modifying anything.
But you should turn off anything running in the background, like anti virus, screensavers, and anything auto update programs.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Post by dbrook »

I really appreciate all the suggestions and encouragement from those who are successfully running Mach 3 under Windows 7 up through 10. I will give the suggestions listed on the Warp 9 ESS setup a shot as well as check into Black Viper.

I am running Window 7 SP1 32 bit Home Premium using the parallel port to drive a Bob Campbell Designs breakout board. The brakeout board is solid and has never given any problems. When I was running Mach 3 on my old system under Windows XP, setup as prescribed for XP, the systems ran like clockwork. The new control computer is not connected to the Internet and has only Mach 3 and Aspire loaded on the system. Mach 3 or Aspire never run at the same time.

My problem-
Someinmes, not all the time, when I have a relative short file running cutting a 1/2" deep pocket, for example, the motion on x, y and z stop during the cut. The spindle continues to turn at the set speed of rotation. The emergency button is still in the run mode and no limits have been hit calling for an emergency stop. At this point I can still click on items on the screen or tabs and normal actions occur but no motion. If I exit Mach and start Mach back up, everything works as normal. It appears that I am loosing I/O control but the Mach software is not locked up and appears to be running as normal but without motion control.

Any and all additional comments will be appreciated.

Dan

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

Are there any error messages in the status bar?
If you click Cycle Start, will it continue?

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

When you say relatively short files do you mean short as in not a large gcode file or short actual time wise :lol:
Have you tried re running the same file to see if it happens at the same point a second time?
Does it happen after mach3 has been running for a certain period of time or the computer has been switched on for a certain period of time?
Can you still send all axis to zero or ref all home when this happens?
you might want to try running some air cuts for testing although the z axis moves should always be first so you shouldn't break any bits :lol: :lol:

The set up for windows 7 should be pretty much the same as it is for xp, have you been through the xp set up again & applied those settings to windows 7 ?

adam_m
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by adam_m »

More questions...

Was this a hardware change or just an OS upgrade?

So, I have limited experience compared to some of the guys on the forum, they know their stuff. I've found that there were issues for me in terms of parallel port communications with my G540 after upgrading to new hardware and a new OS, Windows 7 32bit.

Ultimately I've recently have gone to a smoothstepper, although it costs more it seems to be working well... I'm still testing for lost steps but I think its been cured.

So, my opinion and probably that of other is that if your planning to run from the parallel port use an older system, Windows 98 and make it dedicated to ONLY MACH. If you're planning on using your PC for other things as well as for MACH then get an external driver.

Adam,

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Adam from the initial post it reads to me like a different computer.

Adam brings up a good point about parallel ports, not something I have any experience of myself but I have read on the mach support forum that mach3 will not work properly with all parallel ports, from what I understand it is to do with the parallel port output voltage which was changed from 5v to 3.3v I think that is also the reason why mach3 won't run using a laptop with a parallel port outlet.
Someone like ger21 who is an expert with mach3 will know more about this.

This is one of the reasons why when I did some upgrades to my machine I moved away from parallel port control, as Adam has said it will cost you more money to do that but ultimately it will give you a more stable system :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

It's not so much the parallel port, but rather the PC. Some PC's just don't work well with Mach3, especially more modern ones, that have more power saving features. And the only way to know if it will work is by testing it.

The 3.3 vs 5V depends on what you are plugging into the port. Some breakout boards will work with either 3.3 or 5V, and some require 5V..

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

this is why I stick to win xp pro as my setup is a parallel port and is also a standalone pci parallel port card.
When I purchased my machine the manufacturer said not to use a notebook and do use a standalone parallel port
I do and have gone through a few systems and no problems
I am running mach 3 and Vectric aspire 8.5 and it all runs well