vcarve 8 pro update not recognized by mach 3

bobowo
Model of CNC Machine: router, plasma cutter

vcarve 8 pro update not recognized by mach 3

Post by bobowo »

Hello- I have recently updated to Vcarve 8 from 7 and am using Mach 3 on a home built plasma machine. My control hardware is from Candcnc and has a custom Mach 3 screen. On the upper left of the screen is a pull down menu under "file" which lists associated programs- mine are "other software", "Lazycam" (not used), and "Vcarve". Vcarve 8 pro is installed and runs in stand alone mode, but accessing Vcarve from the pull down menu brings up Vcarve 7, which runs fine, however Vcarve 8 files don't run on previous versions. Anyone know what/where I have to change to get Mach 3 to run the update?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: vcarve 8 pro update not recognized by mach 3

Post by Adrian »

Why do you have both versions installed?

I expect the menu link is using the Windows registry to pick up the executable for VCarve. If you uninstall V7 then it should pick up V8 I would think.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

With both v7 & v8 installed you'll also find "double-clicking" a .CRV file in Windows Explorer will also run v7.

If you can live without v7 then, as Adrian suggested, removing it is the easiest option.

There is a way to use symbolic links to associate two EXE files with the same name (probably VCarvePRO.exe in your case) to one file type (.CRV) so that you can keep both v7 & v8. I could find that info if needed. I thought I might need to do that with my older machine but that would have involved getting IT in to do it and I got a new machine anyway.

Steven

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by Kayvon »

adze_cnc wrote:With both v7 & v8 installed you'll also find "double-clicking" a .CRV file in Windows Explorer will also run v7.
You can fix that behavior by right-clicking a .crv file -> "Open with" -> "Choose default program..." -> Select the version you want to use by default and hit OK.

I don't have Mach3 experience to answer that part of the question, however.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Kayvon wrote:You can fix that behavior by right-clicking a .crv file -> "Open with" -> "Choose default program..." -> Select the version you want to use by default and hit OK.
At the time I did try that and it didn't take and would always revert to the old EXE file.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Kayvon wrote:
adze_cnc wrote:With both v7 & v8 installed you'll also find "double-clicking" a .CRV file in Windows Explorer will also run v7.
You can fix that behavior by right-clicking a .crv file -> "Open with" -> "Choose default program..." -> Select the version you want to use by default and hit OK.

I don't have Mach3 experience to answer that part of the question, however.
Unfortunately there are several bugs with that process in Windows that still persists in Windows 10 so it doesn't always work, especially when the file names are the same. There are 3rd party programs that do it properly and there is always the option of "hacking" the registry.