Stopping while running

jimchi52
Model of CNC Machine: rockcliff d

Stopping while running

Post by jimchi52 »

I posted this before and it happened again. Running a program and it stops. I have mach3 an ethernet smoothstepper. It stopped at line 431000 in the program. Told me to rehome the machine. Rerunning to see if it does it again. Is there a way to get back where the machine left iff or is that to dangerous? Thanks

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Stopping while running

Post by highpockets »

In Mach3 you can backup a few lines of g-code and use the "Set Next Line" then click "Run from Here". If I haven't just paused the run I like to backup to a spindle move g-code line and use that as my Set Next Line operation.
John
Maker of Chips

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

I have had that same issue if Aspire or any other program is also running on the same machine. What happens is the Mach3/SmoothStepper combo is very memory sensitive so that for long jobs it demands complete domination of the memory. I solved the problem by making sure ALL other programs are closed when running a large sized G-code project. You might try that. Good luck.

jimchi52

Post by jimchi52 »

It just did it again at 531000 lines. I am trying to pist a pic but it always says it is invalid

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Any chance that some power saving timer feature in Window$ is turning off the hard drive or something else?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

jimchi52

Post by jimchi52 »

Shut all those down last time

jimchi52

Post by jimchi52 »

I had something pop up while it was running. Insert media

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

I have had this happen on occasion when running a long finishing path and it appears that Mach3 has locked up or lost communication with my controller. I see nothing wrong with the code and my computer has everything turned off and it is dedicated strictly to my machine. Even turning the controller on and off has no effect, it will not pick back up when using "set next line" and "run from here".

What I've had to do, without moving it, is first turn off the router. I write down the code line where it quit responding. Then write down the x,y & z coordinates. Close the file and close mach3 then power down the controller. Essentially I'm shutting down the machine leaving the router in it's last position.
I restart Mach3 and power the controller back up and hit reset. I reload the file and scroll down to the last line of code it stopped on. In Mach3 set the machine to "Off Line" and manually enter the x,y & z coordinates so it's in the same position it was when it quit, then set Mach3 back to "On line". Turn my router back on and hit "Run from here". It will continue to cut as if nothing happened.

This is the only way I've been able to resume cutting without starting all over. Believe me, I've ruined pieces trying different things and if everything is not in the correct position it WILL show one way or another. I built my machine and I've checked grounding, wiring machine set up, computer settings, etc. etc. and have not found a thing wrong anywhere. I'm not saying I didn't miss something but I've looked at everything that's been mentioned in post such as these on other forums as well. The only thing I have not done is replaced the computer since I do use a parallel port or reinstalled Mach3. It's annoying when it happens but it's something I have to live with until I decide to upgrade my computer and controller.

I hope what I've posted makes sense but the answer to your question is yes. You can resume cutting where you left off using caution.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Depending on the controller used, it may have in internal memory buffer that is not large enough to hold complete complex g-code files. This used to happen on my old CNC Shark. It had an SD card in the controller that got corrupt when the power went out one evening. I replaced that card with one of double the capacity and haven't had any problems yet. That was more than 3 years ago.

4D