MACH4

hooked
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: SCRATCH BUILT CNC ROUTER

MACH4

Post by hooked »

Hi Guys,

I'm gathering parts together to build a new CNC. I'm going to use PMDX416 with MACH4. (already purchased) This morning I was browsing the forum and to my dismay read several posts where users were having problems with Mach4.

Is anyone successfully running Mach4 with Vectric software?

THANKS

Daryl

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: MACH4

Post by Adrian »

From what I understand the issues are bugs with Mach4 rather than any issue with the Vectric software running with it.

I used to use Mach3 back in 2006 and they were developing Mach4 back then so it's taken a long time to get it up and running to the state it is now.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I run mach3 & at present have no intention of running mach4, from what I understand it is a completely new program not based around mach3 so has taken a long time to develop, also didn't like the new licencing terms for it basically because it would make it a lot more expensive for me to run.
As Adrian has said it was still full of bugs the last time I checked, as far as running it with Vectric software the only thing you will need to run it will be a post processor for mach4.

hooked
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: SCRATCH BUILT CNC ROUTER

Post by hooked »

Thanks for your input guys. I am building a new CNC from the ground up and choose a PMDX-416 break out box bundled with Mach4. I probably wrongly assumed that because Mach3 was such widely used software Mach4 would not have any issues. The combination gives me USB connectivity which is what I was after. Anyway I guess I will find out the issues that face me when the build is finished and the CNC is in testing phase. Hoping a post processor will be available at some stage. :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

martin54 wrote: also didn't like the new lisencing terms for it basically because it would make it a lot more expensive for me to run.
The developers have said that the licensing terms are basically the same as for Mach3. However, that's not what the website said. I brought it to their attention, and they didn't seem to understand that?? There's a big disconnect imo opinion between the developers and most of their users. That's why imo you don't see many Mach3 users moving to Mach4. Most Mach4 users are new to Mach completely.
I'm moving from Mach3 to UCCNC, even though I have a Mach4 license.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You could have stayed with mach3 & got USB or Ethernet connectivity, I have been meaning to upgrade to Ethernet control from my current parallel port connection for a long time now & never seem to get round to it, everytime it looks like I might have enough money something comes up :oops: :oops:

The developers have said that the licensing terms are basically the same as for Mach3. However, that's not what the website said

Yes I got my info from the website, I just look in from time to time to see if I can see any changes but to be honest Mach3 does everything I need it to do so I don't really see the point in spending money I don't really have :lol: :lol: