Anyone running a Laguna IQ cnc router?

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Anyone running a Laguna IQ cnc router?

Post by dbrook »

Yesterday I was assisting friend who new to cnc. We developed a design using VCarve Pro to run on his recently purchased Laguna IQ cnc router. Once he completed the design we were able to transfer the gcode file to a flash drive and get it to successfully run on the IQ. However, when we decided to make a change in the design and re-run it, we ran into a problem. We successfully changed the design, generated the tool path gcode as before and transferred it to the flash drive. When we inserted the flash drive into the had controller and clicked on the USB drive the controller indicated that there was no file there even though both the first gcode file and the new one was on the drive. Much to my surprise he told me that you had to turn off the machine and turn it back on then re-inset the flash drive for the files to show up on the controller when you click on the USB drive. We turned the IQ off and back on and sure enough we could see the files when when we clicked on the USB drive. Surely there is a procedure/step to eject/remove the USB drive and re-insert it without having to reboot the machine. An email and a call to Laguna tech support did not get a response.

Question:

Is there a proper procedure to safely eject/remove the USB drive from the controller so that you do not have to reboot the IQ to get it to recognize the re-inserted USB drive and see the files? If so, what is it?

Thanks

Dan

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Anyone running a Laguna IQ cnc router?

Post by 4DThinker »

Do your best to make sure any software isn't running when you pull out a thumb drive. Sounds like you pulled the drive out of your PC before VCarve had a chance to finish writing it, and if your VCarve file was also on the drive and loaded from it then you should have shut down VCarve before pulling the drive out.

The most frequent file problem I see from my students is when they've pulled out their thumb drive while the PC was still using it.

4D

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Anyone running a Laguna IQ cnc router?

Post by highpockets »

Don't have a Laguna, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

If you pulled the USB drive out of the Laguna before closing the file the system could have gotten confused. Even after loading a gcode file Mach3 (not sure what Laguna runs) will keep an open link to the original file on the USB.

Just a thought.
John
Maker of Chips