Application Data Folder

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Application Data Folder

Post by BArnold »

I know v8.5 is nearing release but I have a feature question.

It sure would be nice and convenient if one could define file locations like we can in other software. In other word, a location in "Options" where a directory path can be defined. I use Dropbox to store data files and other information in common locations so I can access them from each of my three computers: shop PC, laptop, and home office PC. This would be especially useful for the tool database but also great for anything in the Application Data Folder.

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Application Data Folder

Post by Zcases »

bringing up an old post sorry but found it in my search - I'd like to add a big +1 for this! I use multiple PC's and having the tool database and post processor in a common dropbox would be a big benefit for me too....................

Scott

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Databases and dropbox don't tend to play well together as accessing while updates are in progress can mess things up. Not so much of a problem with the post processors but if you share the database you have to be certain that it's only open one at a time and it's fully updated before being opened on the other machine. At least that was the way it way the last time I did it in V6.

To set up for sharing via Dropbox/OneDrive/SkyDrive etc you need to use symbolic links to link the files up.

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

Interesting, Adrian, so at least I understand it "can" be done. How can I learn more about these "symbolic links" you mention? I can accept the weaknesses you refer to and would definitely want to pursue making this work, if anyone can help explain. Thanks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »