Font Preview Request

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Font Preview Request

Post by Beltramidave »

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this question for Vectric.

What would it take to change the software that when designing a project and choosing a font, to make the font preview update automatically as you scroll down through the many different font choices? This would be much handier than having to hit Apply each time to see what your font would look like.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Font Preview Request

Post by martin54 »

What about installing a simple font viewer on your system? You could view all the fonts on your system with what ever word or line of text you wanted at the same time, think there are also more advanced font viewers that will even show you fonts that aren't installed in the windows font folder.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What I would love to see is a way of restricting which fonts Vectric software loads.

Currently the Vectric software displays all the installed windows fonts. I do a lot of web design stuff as well so I have lots of fonts installed purely for that purpose so my list of fonts in Aspire is pretty large but the majority of them are of no use to my CNC work.

I know I can get to the ballpark by pressing the first letter of the font name but that still leaves me with quite a few to plough through and as the names can be quite similar I often select the wrong one.

If I had the list pre-filtered to show only the ones that I use/know work on CNC then it would be a lot easier.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Adrian does your web design software only work with windows installed fonts? I work as a signmaker & the software I use has its own font manager so I don't have to install all my fonts in the windows font folder.
The previous signmaking software I had didn't have its own font manager to my knowledge but it did have the ability to load fonts stored in other locations as well as the windows font folder, I just had to set up the places it would look for fonts on start up.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I use Xara mainly which does have the ability to load fonts from elsewhere but then there are other usability problems caused by that and I still use other programs which don't have a filter option for web work.

It is more convenient to have them all in the windows fonts folder though as then I know they are usable everywhere. The ability to restrict loading (a bit like My_PostP) would make life a lot simpler. As an add on feature it shouldn't confuse anyone as by default they would have all fonts available.