VCarve Pro Problem

LouF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: FLA100-00

VCarve Pro Problem

Post by LouF »

Hi I have Vcarve Pro and Mach3 my problem is my machine will not cut new files I have made or or downloaded. My machine will move to position to cut and go through the motions of cutting but my Z axis stops about .50 above the cutting surface. I have my material set zero to top of the material and I am using the right post possessor and nothing. Now I loaded a old file from the free monthly projects and it cuts that file just fine. I have reviewed all the tutorial videos over the last 6 days and I can not figure it out any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Lou
Lou

AndyPitts
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot desktop

Re: VCarve Pro Problem

Post by AndyPitts »

Lou,
Do I understand correctly that the file uses the top of the material as z-zero and you zeroed the bit to the top of the actual material?

Andy
Andy Pitts
AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com
YouTube AndyPitts1000

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

I set the Z zero in Vcarve Pro to the top of the material and on my machine I use Mach3 with 2010 screen set and use a .125 plate to set material hight.
Lou

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Don't want to be rude, but did you set the thickness of your z zero plate in Mach3 correctly.

Angie

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are you using an offset for the plate & have you set it the right way round?

If you select " go to zero" in mach3 does the machine move to the correct place?

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

Yes I did the thing that gets me I do the same setup everything the same and I can cut one of the monthly projects and they cut great just as they should. I was designing drawing files before and had to stop due to medical reasons. Now I am back and it seems like anything I may draw up from simple text will not cut then I loaded one of Michael Tyler's projects Mothers Keepsake files the lid and it cut perfect. So I am out of ideas on what to look at thank you.

Lou
Lou

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

martin54 wrote:Are you using an offset for the plate & have you set it the right way round?

If you select " go to zero" in mach3 does the machine move to the correct place?
No not using a offset in the 2010 screen set you set up the difference to allow for the thickness of the plate you zero to. I just wonder why it works the machine with previous files that I have used before and not with new files. All the files I have tried have not worked I could see if nothing would work but that is not the case I am lost.. :(
Lou

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

When you say the old stuff works - is that the old toolpaths already created? If so, what happens when you pull up the old project in V-Carve and create a new toolpath? Is the g-code the same as the old one?

You said the machine does go to zero. What happens when you start a project, hit the stop button in the middle of the run and then manually issue a G0 Z0 - does the tip of the endmill stop just as it touches the top of the work, or ????

EDIT: And can you post a file that doesn't work?

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

JoeM wrote:When you say the old stuff works - is that the old toolpaths already created? If so, what happens when you pull up the old project in V-Carve and create a new toolpath? Is the g-code the same as the old one?

You said the machine does go to zero. What happens when you start a project, hit the stop button in the middle of the run and then manually issue a G0 Z0 - does the tip of the endmill stop just as it touches the top of the work, or ????

Yes the old stuff are old toolpaths that where already created. I will try that out pulling up a old project in VCarve and create a new toolpath and see if it is the same. I will also try hitting the stop button in the middle of the run and manually input a G0 Z0.
I will post a file that does not work.

Thanks Lou
Lou

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

JoeM wrote:When you say the old stuff works - is that the old toolpaths already created? If so, what happens when you pull up the old project in V-Carve and create a new toolpath? Is the g-code the same as the old one?

JoeM I tried out hitting the stop button during a run, Since I am using the 2010 screen set for Mach3 when I hit the stop the Z retracts to the top and all movement is stopped. I typed in the G0 Z0 and it did not move until I hit the Zero all Icon on top of the screen set.
Lou

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeM »

I haven't used Mach3 in a while. I'm using LinuxCNC now. It sounds like you hit the e-stop. There should be a way to stop/pause Mach3 while it's running, and then manually input a command.

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

I hit stop button on my Pc Screen it is below the Cycle Start and Feedhold I have even tried the other post processors that VCarve lists on the drop down menu and still no Joy. I will try a few other things out I have one more desktop I might load Mach in that PC and see if it makes a difference.
Lou

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeM »

On older versions of Mach3 that was an emergency stop button. The way to unstop after you've pressed it was to hit the RESET button, which was another big red button below that. And then there was a button somewhere near that for running individual lines of code.

Perhaps a current user of Mach3 can chime in on how to pause a toolpath without resetting all the zeroes, and then how to manually run a line or two.

LouF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by LouF »

My machine is repaired everything is running great Gerry from CNC Zone helped me out some how Mach3 became corrupt after a uninstall and reinstall everything is fine now. Thank you to you guys from helping me time to start carving. :D
Lou