Another Windows 7/10 & 32-bit/64-bit post

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Another Windows 7/10 & 32-bit/64-bit post

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I searched these forums, and others, and that just added to my confusion, so I thought I'd start another thread.

I've got a lightly used Windows 7 Pro 64 bit computer that I'm setting up to run the CNC router.

I'm currently running Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Mach3, a Soigeneris STDR-4C Controller with a Gecko G-540 & a Warp9 USB Smoothstepper.

So... Do YOU run Mach3 with a Smoothstepper and the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 10? Can I run the 64 bit version of Windows 7 or 10 Pro, or do I have to install the 32 bit version?

If I get it running with Windows 7, can I go to Windows 10 without much or any trouble? I'm just thinking ahead to when Microsoft quits supporting Windows 7.

What do ya think?

Thanks!
Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Another Windows 7/10 & 32-bit/64-bit post

Post by ger21 »

Yes, you can use a 64 bit version, as long as you're using the Smoothstepper.
I've heard of a few people using Windows 10, so it should be fine.

If it's just a CNC control PC, it really shouldn't matter if Microsoft stops support.
My control PC is running XP, and hasn't been updated since the day I installed it, 7 or 8 years ago.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I set up my new machine with Mach3 on Win 7, cause I was not sure about win 10 compatibility.

Last week I did the win 10 upgrade.

There is no problem running Mach3 on win 10 - at least in my case.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Chris if your control computer is solely for running your CNC & has no connection to the internet then what operating system you use & microsofts support for that operating system are not an issue. Just use what ever works best for you. You don't need a lot of ram if your only running mach3 so 32 or 64 bit is fine, use what ever you have. I run vista business which is 64bit on my control PC simply because I had several licences for it & it is the last operating system that mach3 supports using a parallel port, read about problems with mach3 running windows 7 when using a parallel port rather than USB or Ethernet connection & decided not to take a chance but that won't apply to you using a smooth stepper.
Keep meaning to upgrade to a motion control card but still haven't got round to it, will have to start a fund & save up lol

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Good deal... Thanks for all the input. I'll do a fresh install of Windows 7 64 and set it up with Mach3.

I'll post back with my results.

Thanks!
Chris

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Chris you will need to activate your fresh install but if your control computer is never going to see an internet connection then you don't really have to do the 10,000,000 windows updates it is likely to want to do as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

martin54 wrote:Chris you will need to activate your fresh install but if your control computer is never going to see an internet connection then you don't really have to do the 10,000,000 windows updates it is likely to want to do as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, it'll likely only see the Internet once, to activate everything. I'll probably do all the updates, though. Maybe... Maybe not...

Chris

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

windows 7 is on SP1, you will save a bunch of time by downloading that & then installing it as soon as you have completed the fresh install unless of course your windows 7 disk is an SP1 version which mine aren't :lol: :lol: