File Association Problem

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

File Association Problem

Post by Fleming »

Minor issue but if there is a solution it would be nice to know:

When I switched over to the 64 bit version of Aspire 8 on my design computer and then transferred *.crv3d files to my old 32 bit XP controller computer the file association stopped working. I now get the following message:

"filename.crv3d is not a valid Win32 Application". I re-associated those file types to the Aspire 8 program but still get that message. If I load Aspire first and then have it open the filename.crv3d file it works fine. :o
Cobblewood Carver

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: File Association Problem

Post by IslaWW »

Any chance there is still an instance of the 32 bit program on the computer?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

The old shop computer is 32 bit and so Aspire shows up on that computer in the WIN32 subfolder of programs. There are no other versions of Aspire on that system. If I drag a .crv3d file to the Aspire.exe program it will load or if I load Aspire first it will load the .crv3d files just fine. But if I tell Windows XP to associate .crv3d files with Aspire.exe and then click on the .crv3d file it will give me that error message. A minor nuisance but I was hopeful someone had a quick fix as it used to work just fine.
Cobblewood Carver

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are loads of bugs in file association with older versions of Windows that cause issues like that.

I used to use http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html to troubleshoot issues like this.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Adrian - Thanks for that reference. I will use that!
Cobblewood Carver