Mach3 setup question

Wdp67
Model of CNC Machine: 6040Z-DQ

Mach3 setup question

Post by Wdp67 »

Hi all
My 6040 instructions to set up are in metric, but I use imperial. I know with the software and a g20 that it will work in inches, but my question is about using the software to correct the axis movement. if you click on the setting page to adjust the x axis and you tell it to move 1 inch, say it moves 1.020, do I tell the program 1.020 or do I have to convert that to metric? I hope that makes sense, and I look forward to getting an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Walt

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Mach3 setup question

Post by Leo »

I just got done converting Mach3 from metric to inch, and I re calibrated all 4 axis's

If you are going to re calibrate anyway, why not just switch it over to inches?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Wdp67

Post by Wdp67 »

So how do I do that, I don't know the pitch of the screws or anything other than the setting they told me in the instructions.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Your resolution numbers for a given axis should be (25.4 * existing) for millimeters to inches. Hard coded numbers should be (existing / 25.4) the conversion is relatively straight forward. Use 2.54 if converting from CM
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Go to Config / Select Native Units and set it to inches.

Restart Mach3

Go through the calibration of each axis including motor tuning.

If using the "Axis Calibration" facility on the Settings page, those units referred to will be inches. As will units in motor tuning

Wdp67

Post by Wdp67 »

Thanks for all the replies I will give it a shot tonight. The reason I asked, is that I did run the axis calibration on the settings page, and adjusted the axis's. I told it to move inches and entered the measured movement in inches. after doing that, everything started acting goofy. Movement was totally messed up after that.

Walt

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Wdp67 wrote:. The reason I asked, is that I did run the axis calibration on the settings page, and adjusted the axis's. I told it to move inches and entered the measured movement in inches. after doing that, everything started acting goofy. Movement was totally messed up after that.

Walt
Because your native units were set to mm's. You can't mix and match unit's.

If you're going to be doing your projects in inches, then set up the machine in inches.
The simplest thing to do, is set the native units to inches, close and restart Mach3.
In motor tuning, multiply your steps/unit by 25.4, and divide your accel and velocity by 25.4. This should set your distances and feedrates to inches, provided they were correct before.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Wdp67

Post by Wdp67 »

Thanks for that!! I appreciate it!! I will do it when I get off work and give it a shot!

Walt

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

With mach3 you can set up multiple profiles so if you set up a new profile using inches then you can do all your setting up & calibrating for the new profile before you delete the old metric one. That way if you do have problems you can always go back to the metric profile if you have problems or find there is a setting you need to convert that you missed.

Wdp67

Post by Wdp67 »

That is a good tip!!

Thanks

Walt

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I saw two places to change the settings from mm to inch

one was in config/?motor tuning?

The other was in ?settings? - and there is a radio button for inch or for mm

After both are set to inch - then axis calibration and motor tuning.

I don't have mach3 in front of me - so I may be giving the locations wrong, but they are in there.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you open the mach3 loader (not mach3mill) you will see the option to create a new profile, you can clone your existing mach3 settings which means most of the setting up work will be done for you. Then you can just open that profile & take it from there.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Go to the Settings tab, then in the lower left corner (I believe), click Auto calibration.