New to CNC

JMan
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

New to CNC

Post by JMan »

Hi everyone. I recently purchased the Piranha FX, love using it. I want to start to creat 3D from 2D images and was wondering if anyone could help and advise me in what software to use. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone is doing well the weekend.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Re: New to CNC

Post by COWBOY1296 »

i use aspire 8. you can create 3-d components with it as well as blend them together.

JMan

Post by JMan »

Thanks. unfortunately I dont have the cash for the program, are there any cheaper in the 200-200$ range?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You want to create 3D from photo.

That's kinda like, you just got your license and now want to move mega machinery cross country. Or you want to be a race car driver, now.

Yes - you can do that, but the end result may not be what you expect.

There are things out there on the cheap, but there is ALWAYS a price to pay.

some editing software
Silo
Daz Studio

After many years experience, I don't find anything easy to do with those things.

Then there is Rhino - but the price tag is even bigger and the learning curve bigger still.

This software stuff can EASY get into $10,000 - $50,000 dollars.
Comparatively, Aspire is a MEGA bang for the buck.

You bought the machine - don't try to cheap out on the next most important thing - programming software.
Following that is the cutters - don't get the cheapest you can find - it's not worth it.

To do a good job converting Photo to 3D takes some skill, experience and effort. There is nothing that will do it automatically with a couple of mouse clicks.

I know people that do it on the cheap, but they are bonified artists and very highly skilled.

It IS do-able.

In the price range you mention. Vectric PhotoVcarve is a nice product that will convert a photo to a carving. It is limited, but some people produce some nice results. Keep in mind it is not a simple one click process, it takes some learning, practice and experience.

ALSO, not 3D but REALLY good software in your price range is Cut 2D, and used with Machinist (free) you can create some really nice 3D images that you purchase from Vectorart3D. The toolpath for the 3D image can be imported into Cut2D. Neither Cut2D nor Machinist allow you to edit or create anything 3D.

Moving up from there is V-Carve Pro. Still not to create 3D though.

One really nice thing about Vectric products that you don't find elsewhere - you can start at the bottom and upgrade. From Cut 2D to Aspire, what you learn in Cut 2D will also be used in Aspire.

No matter what you do, you will find yourself is a large learning curve.

My friend Dan Sawatsky of Imagination Corporation, a world renown award winning creator said, "you need to put in your 10,000 hours before you will start to get good".

I'm just saying - it is a learning experience.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi,

Blender is free and will enable you to build actual 3D objects. But the learning curve will be very long.

Aspire is specialized in bas-relief, which is a specific case of 3D. Much easier to master, as it has the relevant tools for this purpose. For simple bas-reliefs, you can quickly get interesting results.

Rhino is a very good product, but again for actual 3D. They have a very low price for students. This is not an educational license, but a special price, which means you can still use the product when you're no more a student. Just in case you can benefit of this offer.

But if you intend to create bas-reliefs, it will be way more difficult with any actual 3D modeler than in Aspire.

Nothing else to add to Leo's post, I totally agree. Except for the 10,000 hours. That's perhaps true for people as skilled as Dan Sawatsky, but mere mortals require much more :mrgreen:

In fact, you can quickly get very good results with Aspire if you conscientiously read the manual, follow the tutorials and practice. Reaching Dan Sawatsky level is another story, and a full time job, not a hobby.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I want to start to create 3D from 2D images and was wondering if anyone could help and advise me in what software to use.
The bottom line is that this is not a trivial task in any software, even Aspire.

You typically use the 2D image as a reference, and manually build the 3D model. It takes a lot of skill and practice to get good at it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

JMan

Post by JMan »

Thanks everyone for your input. I know its a tedious and takes a lot of practice and skill, and I am probably better off to purchase pieces i want or need. I appreciate all the input and I think I will try the Photocarve software as it is in my price range. As for bit from what I am told Amana is the way to go. I have just ordered my first few router bits and can't wait to try new stuff. With Photocarve, used to make lithographs as well?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

PhotoVcarve is good for lithophane - yes.

Amana is a good bit selection. As to the way to go, maybe, but they are not the only good one. Personally, I don't have anything Amana, but not because I don't think they are good, they are. I have just selected other brands, that's all. There are other fish in the pond.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

JMan

Post by JMan »

Leo, please I would like to know what others are out there as I only know of Amana from the store I bought my machine from.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

A few more good brands of bits for CNC work in wood. Click on the name to go to the web site:
Onsrud
Centruion
Whiteside
CMT (the V bits are the best)
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

JMan

Post by JMan »

Rcnewcomb wrote:A few more good brands of bits for CNC work in wood. Click on the name to go to the web site:
Onsrud
Centruion
Whiteside
CMT (the V bits are the best)
Thanks for the list, I plan on ordering the CMT Vbits in the near future.