Tool change and Auto zero plate

marlondave
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Tool change and Auto zero plate

Post by marlondave »

I want to do two passes (roughing and finishing) with two different bits. Using the auto zero plate to get my zero reference in roughing is no problem. I'll like to know the best way to get z zero ref. after changing to the finishing tool in the home position.

craftyfifer
Model of CNC Machine: self build

Re: Tool change and Auto zero plate

Post by craftyfifer »

Once the roughing cut has been completed, and you have changed tool bits, you zero as per the first tool. You either return to zero, or start the finish tool path, as the tool will return to zero before continuing.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

Set the Z0 to the spoil board, then you can simply reference off the spoil board each time you change a tool (no worries about losing your reference point when you rough cut the material).

Just be sure to set Z0 to the bottom in Aspire and carefully measure you material thickness so you can set it properly in material set-up.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I just recently started using the z-zero to the table because my planer is off on one side by .005 which is very annoying but I haven't had time to nail it down. I bought a high end surfacing bit and now have my cnc plane the wood to an exact thickness when I need to be more exact. Works great.

Joe