Old Noob Issues Mach 3

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Old Noob Issues Mach 3

Post by Rik »

I haven't used my Mach 3 since I honestly can't remember. Now I got a dedicated p.c. not connected to the internet or any cable device, for my store bought machine and, a rebuilt control box with a Chinese driver board. I fired it up today and no smoke but. By the way even though the driver board is Chinese does it still need a breakout board?
I tried to move the axis with the keyboard arrows pad, and nothing happened. So I tried to bring up the motor tuning page and it didn't come up, so I couldn't even try to reconfigure the motors. I must have done something very wrong. Have any of you had any kind of similar problems with Mach 3. The very last time I used it, it worked fine. I thought if I copied the files and installed it on the new computer it would be fine and dandy, but noooooooo!. Any ideas??

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Old Noob Issues Mach 3

Post by zeeway »

Hmmm, not sure where to start. Don't want to offend you...but...

1. You have to do a full install for Mach 3 to work on a new computer. It is not clear to me if you did that or just "copied files".
2. You do not need a breakout board, if your driver board has output ports for your motors. That is, are your motors connected to your driver board ? (again, sorry if this sounds condescending...).
3. I have used Mach3 for 4 or 5 years, so I have have made most possible mistakes. I am not an expert, but I can bumble my way around.

So, after you have fully installed Mach 3 on your control computer, and verified that your driver board is hooked up to your motors, and you have gotten your motors to turn, come on back with your questions....

Angie

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Good reply, yes I have my motors connected to the board, and no I don't think that's condescending, I'm sure that's been done before.
O.K. on the bob, I did not truly think so. I have sent an email to the Mach 3 site requesting a new license doc and a fresh version of Mach 3.
You know, consequently, I read here after I made this post about another members issue with Mach 3 and copying, that I realized I may have the same problem. On a side issue, I handmade a db25 pig tail connector using crimp pins and, now upon further thought, I may not be communicating with the driver board at all. I will buy an assembled and tested pigtail today. I recently found a good source for one. So the adventure continues, thanks.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Luckily, I had help setting up Mach3 and configuring it to my system from the company (Soigeneris) that I bought the control box from. The little I do know is related directly to my Mach3 setup and control box. After I got it all set up correctly, I made a copy of my Mach3 .XML file for safe keeping. It's stored on 3 different computers as well as 2 place online... I don't want to lose that sucker! :lol: That's the file that tells Mach3 everything (I think & hope) about your control box & CNC router. So, when I've had to put a new computer in place to run Mach3, I've re-installed Mach3, and then pasted my .xml file to the proper spot.

I don't recall off the top of my head where the .xml file is. If you like, I can get that info to you Monday when I get to the shop.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You can download mach3 from the support site, the limitation on it as a demo is that it will only run 500 lines of code until you enter the licence file which will unlock the full licensed version. Best thing really is to start all over again from scratch, pin out on your Chinese driver board may be completely different from what you had previously so best to go right back to the beginning & start all over again. That way there are no mistakes, no dreaded black smoke & you know if it doesn't work something else is to blame.
There are some videos on the mach support site for setting up ports & pins, the pin configuration for your driver board will be in the manual, a lot of these Chinese driver boards have the bob built in so it's all one unit rather than separate pieces. Only problem with that sort of set up is if you have a fault on one axis you have to replace the whole lot.