Another noob question about tap files

jpatton
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Plus

Another noob question about tap files

Post by jpatton »

So before I got my shark, I was running the click n carve. I like prodigy's software because it makes excellent replica's of my images. Downside is it's only capable of 5x7 inch cuts..Here's my question. Is there any software that can open the prodigy tap file and convert it to a tap file the shark controller can read? I've searched but no luck. Maybe not searching correctly. It seems prodigy uses x's and o's where the shark looks like g001 in its code.. I would love to be able to use the shark to make larger scale images that the click n carve won't do...The trace bitmap just doesn't cut it for me in V-Carve...
Thanks in advance.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Another noob question about tap files

Post by martin54 »

Sorry not familiar with your software but once Prodigy has converted your image do you not have the ability to export the file as something like an EPS. You could then import the EPS file into vcarve scale, toolpath & output it ready for the shark machine.
I don't use the trace bitmap in vcarve either but only because I am more familiar with other software, have you spent any time getting to know how the bitmap trace works? Often with this type of process you need to play about with the settings a bit to find what works best for your system.

jpatton

Post by jpatton »

Unfortunately not. The only option it gives you is "transfer to g-code"...Then saves the tap file..I've tinkered with trace bitmap, but can't get the detail that I do with prodigy software. It's weird, because I can run v-carve and other projects through the click in carve, but can't get the tap files from prodigy to load in the shark...Maybe it's a NWA thing? I just thought g-code was g-code....

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

jpatton wrote:I just thought g-code was g-code....
So many people think it's a standard but just about every machine/controller has it's own little tricks and idiosyncrasies.

As far as I'm aware the Click N Carve software uses shaded bitmaps in the same that PhotoVCarve and Aspire does. In fact Aspire can output the files for use in the software.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Rename the extension on your file to .TAP and see if the Shark controller will open it. No way to rescale in the controller, but if you get a preview that looks right then at least you know it is really G-Code. VCarve can import G-Code made by cut3D but I don't know if it is resizable once imported.

jpatton

Post by jpatton »

Shark won't open it...Upon looking at the code prodigy makes..It's looks like the y ( I assume, its the depth of cut anyway) is set at the beginning of the code...All the lines then have x.....and z...there is no "y" in any of the lines of code....That might be the issue...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Z is the router axis (cut depth) on a standard CNC.