ASpire tutorials viewing trouble

BRIANT
Model of CNC Machine: 40-915x

ASpire tutorials viewing trouble

Post by BRIANT »

Running windows 8 on a hp laptop rather new. For the last two months that I have had the Aspire 4.0 software on my computer everything has been running great up until the computer crashed. Unknown to me why the computer crashed I had to do a restore of the hard drive and start all over again re installing everything. Re installed the Aspire 4.0 disc one with no problems and did the same with disk 2. I installed all the the tutorials on both disk as well as cliparts. I clicked on one of the the tutorials to view as I had done so many before and it tried to open but gave me a error message . ERROR IMPORT FAILED, UNSUPPORTED FILE TYPE, C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files\Aspire V4.0\A Getting Started\A04\AO4.wmv. I noticed at the end of this file the wmv. I have no ideas how it trys to open up as a wmv, especially when this is a aspire file. This all started happening after I reloading everything new. This message comes up with which ever tutorial I choose. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the software several times but the same thing occurs out of ideas but I have plenty of frustrations. To say the least I need help. The tutorial have been a great source of instructions for me and learning a lot from them. Thanks Briant

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: ASpire tutorials viewing trouble

Post by Adrian »

wmv is a windows media file which is the correct format for the tutorial videos. When you double click on one of these files (from Windows) by default it's associated with Windows Media player and that program should load and the file should run.

These are not Aspire files. Those end with the crv3d or 3dclip (for the clipart) extension. For that particular video the associated Aspire files are Magnolia-TP.crv3d and Magnolia_Flower-57469-A.3dclip

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Sounds like a codec issue - are you running Windows 8, or 8.1? Also which version. It seems that M$ removed some codecs in the latest versions. Now they even want you to buy an "App," to play DVD's in Windows 8.1 - cheap if you have the Pro version, not so much if you don't.

Upgrading WMP with the media center update may help, but before paying for it, I'd check my file associations. Another option is to download and use the excellent VLC player.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but Vectric used to use a codec from TechSmith to encode their files. You might give it a try. It can be found, HERE. It's at the bottom left of the page. I don't really remember, but that might only apply to their .avi files, so YMMV.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice you were trying to import it into Aspire! Adrian is correct - -Just try opening the file directly with Windows Media Player...
Ron Sloan

BRIANT
Model of CNC Machine: 40-915x

Post by BRIANT »

Thanks you so much. The windows media player worked and my videos are now working with no issues.