cutting downward sloping lines

ant818
Model of CNC Machine: techno lc4896

cutting downward sloping lines

Post by ant818 »

help, i want to make a drain board in a counter top.
I'll need to have a bunch of grooves that start at 1/4" deep and get deeper towards the sink cutout.
Can someone please suggest a way to do this with aspire?
thanks

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: cutting downward sloping lines

Post by PaulRowntree »

This really is a question for the Aspire portions of the forum.

Draw the line that you want, with the starting point at the 'high' part of your design (away from the sink). Use the 'Fluting' toolpath, with a linear shape extending 100% of the way across the length of the vector. use the tool that matches the width of the shape you want to work with. The Start Depth is going to be 1/4", so you may want to also make a simple Profile toolpath to cut this vector at a constant 0.25" deep first.

Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Check out the trout tutorial that came with the aspire software. You can find it online too.

http://support.vectric.com/tut-aspire-3d-core

Check out the two rail sweep part of he video. I know this tutorial explains how to raise the trout image from the zero plain of the surface but you can change that to dish out the grooves. It is possible to make the groove using the two rail sweep. You'll get a rounded bottom vs. a square one.

Create your vectors for the groove and the two rail sweep vectors. Draw an ellipse and cut it in half and a straight line for the beginning of the groove. Create your sweep and you'll have a tapered groove in the board. I'll post a photo later. I don't have wifi here at UPS.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Use a large ball end bit with a profile you want for the drain groove, then study up on the features of the fluting toolpath as Paul suggested. All you'll need is a centerline of the grooves you want with the starting point at the shallow end of the cut. Set the starting depth at 1/4", then set the flute depth for how deep you want the end less 1/4". Select "ramp over complete depth", then "linear" for ramp type.

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

On this page you'll find exactly what you're looking for about half way down. A cutting board using the fluting toolpath.

http://support.vectric.com/tut-aspire-feature-reference
Rick

Shark HD 2.0