windows 7

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

windows 7

Post by bluridg »

recently upgraded my computer to a dedicated cnc computer. now using windows 7. several times when running a program, everything stopped. movement, router, movement on mach screen. reset button is flashing and red light on the gecko is on. anyone else had similar problems? could it be windows 7? any ideas? ted

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: windows 7

Post by Adrian »

Have you disabled power saving features such as hard disk shutdown, usb disconnect, cpu slowdown etc?

Also worth checking that you don't have any automatic update processes working in the background.

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Post by mike1966 »

Could be that the computer needs to be grounded to the machine, not jut the electrical ground.
My cnc machine was stopping every few minutes and it was a loose ground between the control box and computer

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

mike1966 wrote:Could be that the computer needs to be grounded to the machine, not jut the electrical ground.
My cnc machine was stopping every few minutes and it was a loose ground between the control box and computer
Amen to that. Was a problem for me also. But also make sure you take out all possible windows interrupts (program updates, etc.). Windows 7 works well for me.

Angie

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

I am using the printer cable. thought it had grounds built in been running 2 1/2 yrs without grounding ted

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

evidently problem was caused by limit switches settings, although they hadn't been changed in two years. disengaged them and no more problems. now to find why. thanks everyone. will post what I find. ted