Proportionally increasing or decreasing the width of a piece

DiMac Designs
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna

Proportionally increasing or decreasing the width of a piece

Post by DiMac Designs »

Working with a piece of material which measures 12” wide,18” long , ¼” thick, and has two ¼” wide grooves at 1/16” deep, where the center line of the grooves are 4” from the material edge as well as 4” between the grooves themselves. How can the width be increased or decreased and the centerlines of two grooves will be proportionally increased or decreased as well?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Proportionally increasing or decreasing the width of a piece

Post by Adrian »

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Do you have to have the grooves defined as pockets (ie draw as rectangles) or could you do them as lines and use a 1/4" tool on a centerline toolpath to cut them?

Cuts down a couple of steps if you do it that way. Basically you need to set the drawing up and and then use the "Set Selected Objects Size" tool to specify the size you want (you need to have a rectangle defined as the size of the material).

If you've used rectangles for the grooves then they will be made proportionally wider as part of the process but you can correct that by clicking on them, choosing the rectangle tool and then typing in the correct width, make sure the anchor point is set to the centre.

Using your example rezing a 12" wide job to 16" would move the groove centrelines to 5.3" and 10.6" with a gap of 5.3".

DiMac Designs

Post by DiMac Designs »

Adrian wrote:Do you have to have the grooves defined as pockets (ie draw as rectangles) or could you do them as lines and use a 1/4" tool on a centerline toolpath to cut them?

Cuts down a couple of steps if you do it that way. Basically you need to set the drawing up and and then use the "Set Selected Objects Size" tool to specify the size you want (you need to have a rectangle defined as the size of the material).

If you've used rectangles for the grooves then they will be made proportionally wider as part of the process but you can correct that by clicking on them, choosing the rectangle tool and then typing in the correct width, make sure the anchor point is set to the centre.

Using your example rezing a 12" wide job to 16" would move the groove centrelines to 5.3" and 10.6" with a gap of 5.3".
Hello again. Yes I am using the rectangle tool to construct the grooves. I understand using the "Set Selected Objects Size" tool, how did you determine the size of 5.3" in your example. I followed your example but the grooves did not move proportionally to 5.3" Did I miss a step? thanks for your help. david

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Try this. If you're still having issues let me know. I expect you're not selecting all three rectangles or you haven't defined a rectangle the size of your material.

1. Draw a rectangle the size of your job. 18" x 12" for your example.

2. Draw the two rectangles for the grooves as 18" x 1/4" and place at the appropriate positions.

3. Click on the main rectangle to select it and then, while holding down the shift key click on the two groove rectangles to add them to the selection. You could also press Ctrl-A to select all vectors or drag the mouse around them.

4. Now got to the "Set Selected Objects Size" tool and type the new dimension. In my example I went from 12" to 16".

5. All three rectangles should now have resized and moved as required.

6. Click on each of the groove rectangles and using the Rectangle tool reset them to 1/4" and making sure that the central anchor is selected.

DiMac Designs

Post by DiMac Designs »

Adrian wrote:Try this. If you're still having issues let me know. I expect you're not selecting all three rectangles or you haven't defined a rectangle the size of your material.

2. Draw the two rectangles for the grooves as 18" x 1/4" and place at the appropriate positions.

3. Click on the main rectangle to select it and then, while holding down the shift key click on the two groove rectangles to add them to the selection. You could also press Ctrl-A to select all vectors or drag the mouse around them.

4. Now got to the "Set Selected Objects Size" tool and type the new dimension. In my example I went from 12" to 16".

6. Click on each of the groove rectangles and using the Rectangle tool reset them to 1/4" and making sure that the central anchor is selected.
Adrian wrote:Try this. If you're still having issues let me know. I expect you're not selecting all three rectangles or you haven't defined a rectangle the size of your material.