gcode resetting my surface zero to Z-0.200"

Re: gcode resetting my surface zero to Z-0.200"

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Do those work with your improved system? I found one that I used on Mach3, I think its was called, School_Router.Zip it was very simple which I liked and I could see easier on my laptop and the Link is here > https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index ... #msg260085

But PLEASE do not install until you have the other issues fixed.

They do have one for Mach4 now and when I have my current project done I may try.
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Fine Line Automation Saturn 2 4x4 ESS

Postby Mr.Chips » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

D37E789E-C661-40C7-AABA-6653F479D94A.jpeg
Went through the settings and only found one that was slightly off. DIAGNOSTICS/ PULSE FREQUENCY:
Originally 25068. Now is 24998
Not a big difference.

Loaded up the file we have been testing.
Zeroed all axis, set Z zero to surface of material
Visually verified that the Z axis stepper/coupling/acme screw we’re all in line.

Started running file

File started cutting properly
It was obvious that it was cutting much deeper by character 6, and slightly dragging between 5 and 6 and dragging even more between 6 and on its way to character 7, when I hit the stop button, at LINE N29400G1...

I used the arrow keys and moved the V bit to the surface (Z zero original height) and the Z axis on the screen indicated.

In the past weeks we have gone through testing on the Z axis, and I feel that there isn’t a mechanical problem.

I swapped the Y and Z steppers to see if that corrected the problem, but the problem persisted.

Purchased a new flash drive to transfer the file from the house to the off line CNC PC., but the problem persisted.

Downloaded a new version of MACH3 and (painfully) merged it with the Candcnc files, but the problem persisted.

Photos attached of the Mach screen showing the height of the V bit, it should have indicated zero, as I moved it to the surface of the material. This was done after stopping the run at line no N29400G1.

I’m thinking that leaves two areas of concern, Candcnc BOB, and Gecko drivers.

I’m thinking to go to Gecko support, and explain what I’m experiencing, what we have tried and see if they can recommend any tests I could perform to aid my in finding what’s causing the problem.

I don’t want to tie up any more or your all’s time, thank you so much for you diligence and support.

When I find out the answer I’ll let you know the cause.
Hager
Attachments
50B2498B-6B94-4705-95E6-05E968F5701A.jpeg
5ABB2575-F1AF-457D-8B05-DDBE1A115468.jpeg
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: MAKE DO

Postby Mr.Chips » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

D37E789E-C661-40C7-AABA-6653F479D94A.jpeg
Went through the settings and only found one that was slightly off. DIAGNOSTICS/ PULSE FREQUENCY:
Originally 25068. Now is 24998
Not a big difference.

Loaded up the file we have been testing.
Zeroed all axis, set Z zero to surface of material
Visually verified that the Z axis stepper/coupling/acme screw we’re all in line.

Started running file

File started cutting properly
It was obvious that it was cutting much deeper by character 6, and slightly dragging between 5 and 6 and dragging even more between 6 and on its way to character 7, when I hit the stop button, at LINE N29400G1...

I used the arrow keys and moved the V bit to the surface (Z zero original height) and the Z axis on the screen indicated.

In the past weeks we have gone through testing on the Z axis, and I feel that there isn’t a mechanical problem.

I swapped the Y and Z steppers to see if that corrected the problem, but the problem persisted.

Purchased a new flash drive to transfer the file from the house to the off line CNC PC., but the problem persisted.

Downloaded a new version of MACH3 and (painfully) merged it with the Candcnc files, but the problem persisted.

Photos attached of the Mach screen showing the height of the V bit, it should have indicated zero, as I moved it to the surface of the material. This was done after stopping the run at line no N29400G1.

I’m thinking to go to Gecko support, and explain what I’m experiencing, what we have tried and see if they can recommend any tests I could perform to aid my in finding what’s causing the problem.

I don’t want to tie up any more or your all’s time, thank you so much for you diligence and support.

When I find out the answer I’ll let you know the cause.
Hager
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Did you try swapping the stepper driver modules like I suggested a few days ago? The only real test for that stepper driver is as I suggested as long as in the input signal and power supply is correct, I usually take a picture of any switch settings. Replacement would be suggested if thats all ok.

Did you mark the shaft and coupling at both ends to see if the coupling has slipped?
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby Wayne Locke » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm

I do not see how a driver or software issue can move the z and reset the z zero. I think that you have a mechanical issue. I would start with the easiest, simplest and most obvious first. Change to a new router collet and a different bit even if it is not the same type of bit. Run the file. If it still drops look at the zaxis. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. You do not want a moving target. Keep isolating things till you locate the cause. Your issue is precisely what would happen with a bit or axis moving.
Wayne Locke
Vectric Apprentice

Postby ger21 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 pm

I don't think it's either of those.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com
ger21
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Postby Mr.Chips » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm

WMG,
In my last post I noted I marked the pieces and no change.

I galled Tech service at Gecko and Marcus recommended the same thing, WMG your right on track.
I’ll let you know how that comes out.
Thanks
Hager
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman

Postby Leo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Just a dumb thought here.

No cost to find out - simple to check

Is the machine bed flat and parallel to the XY axis?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com
Leo
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Leo wrote:Just a dumb thought here.

It has been for the past 10 years..
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Wayne Locke wrote:I do not see how a driver or software issue can move the z and reset the z zero. I think that you have a mechanical issue. I would start with the easiest, simplest and most obvious first. Change to a new router collet and a different bit even if it is not the same type of bit. Run the file. If it still drops look at the zaxis. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. You do not want a moving target. Keep isolating things till you locate the cause. Your issue is precisely what would happen with a bit or axis moving.

Wayne you need to read back through the past 14 pages here, and the 8 or so on CNC Zone....
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby Leo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

wmgeorge wrote:
Leo wrote:Just a dumb thought here.

It has been for the past 10 years..

BUT - is it possible that perhaps something happened to cause it to be no longer flat and parallel?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com
Leo
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254

Postby Mr.Chips » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Swapped the A driver for the Z. All of the Z controls are now running through the old A driver. The A driver probably only has about 2-3 hours of running, and that was only while I was building the A axis prototype drive, never used it.

The problem is still there, possibly slightly worse looking at the two cuts.
As in the first test run I stopped it as it was getting ready to run character no 7, nite the drag marks look deeper after the drive swap.

I’ll communicate this to Gecko and see what they suggest to do next.

And as for the Bed not being parallel to the X and Y axis, take a look at the 60deg bit scribed lines across 18” and across 24”. Pretty uniform width. I’m getting over 0.100” increase in width in 6” of cuts.
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman

Postby Mr.Chips » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Heres photos
Attachments
069E9AD7-C35C-4CFB-9F7F-89993A9E6357.jpeg
EF32969B-0EF5-460A-8485-6FAE9288CD1B.jpeg
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 pm

1. What material are you cutting those designs into? Looks like cloth but it can't be.

2. Were there any settings on those Stepper Drivers that needed to be set or re-set?
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Postby GME » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:30 pm

wmgeorge wrote:1. What material are you cutting those designs into? Looks like cloth but it can't be.

2. Were there any settings on those Stepper Drivers that needed to be set or re-set?

Bill,

They just use 1/4W current set resistors. No other settings.

Gary
GME
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: 4 X 4 wood router

PreviousNext

Return to Control Software related questions