Thanks Chris, I am not sure if or when it might cut chips but at least I am picking up where I left off and trying to at least test the mechanism and try and evaluate my original idea. I am proceeding to make the remaining parts with what is on hand and although some of the parts are from the scrap pile rather than new materials I always try to utilize workable materials and try not to sacrifice strength or workable details.
I worked most of the day with the carriage parts and their assembly and it takes a bit more time to fab parts when you use all manual methods compared to shears and CNC punch or laser machines but it can be done with surprising accuracy with a little effort.(or maybe a lot of effort depending on your perspective) I just laid the parts out and cut with a jig saw and a metal blade, cutting a slight bit larger to allow for grinding and squaring. At least I have a drill press so drilling was a bit easier than with a hand drill and of course the threaded holes were done with a hand tap. I got the carriage fully assembled and ready to be bored for the spindle mounting hole of the B-C head main rotation center, and I took the head apart to assemble the motor and pinion wheel. The motor I used was a size smaller than the planned mounting holes so I had to modify the hole patterns a bit and make threaded nut brackets for the mounting screws. I did not re-assemble it since I have some more fitting to do to the mechanism parts. I posted the picture of the carriage earlier and updated drawings of the head details so just attaching the pic of the drive mechanism trial assembly.