another computer crash

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

another computer crash

Post by larryo »

Hi My computer for my cnc just gave up the ghost. I mean it stoped working will come on but blank screen. I was down loading some new files and doing undates. Couldnt do them for a couple of years as I could not get the shop computer on the net. Just got it on 2 days before it crashed. spend to days getting it runing perfect. Better than it ever ran. Now no cumputer. I bew the power wupply then when it came back on the comuter just squealed then stoped.. hasnt worked sence. What I was wondering have any of you out there ever been able to retreave you mach information. I was going to stat the new computer with windows and then try to get back into the files on my hard drive to retreave the data in it. I am not sure of my pin settings and acelerating numbers. I know keep a back up some were. And I did for 3 years but cant find them now. I really need the pin numbers and the step per inch etc. Just hoping that there might be a short cut. It took me a week to figure them out in the first place hate math. The computer tech said I couldnt get it back from the hard drive as it would blow my new computer up the wrong coputer setting or somthing like that . HHHHelp.. :( :oops:

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Re: another cumputer crash

Post by johnnydoughey »

If you use MACH3 you might check on their forum or if you purchased your machine and it uses a special cam software, check with the suppliers.
MACH3 has a complete booklet you can download with the various settings...

Sorry about your problem and hope you're up and running again soon..

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Post by johnnydoughey »

One other idea. If your computer crashed but your hard drive wasn't damaged, you might just be able to have the tech hook it up as an external drive and just copy it to the new computer or put it into another computer and copy it.
Also, I've heard that once in awhile you can put a hard drive into a freezer (in a container) for a little while and it may just operate again...

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

save your hard drive and after some research you migh able to get your stuff back...
to configuring as slave drive, it acting different way.. also many companies makes it... in simple case as it looks, you might get back everything for 100-200...
the most important, if you were not sure don't try... your datas are still there...

for your mach settings, i guess nothing wrong if you start over... and after it's working write settings on paper...
xylotex, gecko and other manufacturers has description of pinout on their site... all of them can help you with settings...

the pinout has some standard, as x-y-z however different controllers use different settings...

viktor

the main settings, the bios is in the chipset... and software can't overwrite that... you can set your cd to primary drive and run computer from... with this configuration hook only this bad drive, might be you can get work..

but again if you were not made it before, just send your drive to a company they recover it... the first recovery softwares came up in the early 80' mainly by peter norton,,,, his """speedisk""" already built in in windows as defragmenter...

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

thanks guys I thought it would be possible to recover some info from the hard drive. The hard drive is okay it has all the info on it I tried it on my office computer and everything is there. But when I told the rep about it he nearly fliped and said It couldnt be done to many changes. I done know enough about computer programs toKnow if he is right or not. Somthing on the board whent. like memory cards or processer it is a p4 2.5 gig speed

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

rep wants to sell some new stuff you:-)

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

I
bew the power wupply then when it came back on the comuter just squealed then stoped.. hasnt worked sence.

Did it quit working after you blew out Power supply ? ? Does it make any Beeping sounds when booting ? are you sure monitor didn't quit ? maybe just the Video card .... If you are getting blank screen not a error saying it can not find operating system .. you more then likely lost Video or the monitor . As far as retrieving your Mach info I would think it should be easy enough if you can read the Hard drive from another PC. As johnnydoughey recommended check the Mach site I am sure someone should be able to tell you which files and where that you need .. good luck Kent

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

We had a similar situation when one of our computers lost a power supply and was not worth fixing.
We pulled the hard drive out of the old system. It was an 80GB IDE drive.
We bought a new computer system with an internal SATA drive.
We bought an external hard drive case for the old hard drive ($39 at the time). This allowed us to plug in the old drive into the new system. We could copy whatever files we needed to the new hard drive.

Look around for a small computer shop that has some 12 year old kid behind the counter that knows more about computers than you ever thought possible. They should be able to get you back on track.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

USB adapter for hard drives ... best tool in my arsenal

Lets you look at and check any type drive, Not same as the one I have but should work fine

Kent

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

Hi when I was talking with yous this morning a service tech from 2 towns over got in touch with me. He had another computer and said bring mine over let him have a look. He got mine going again. The cpu was fried. Was fused to the cooling fins. It had been runing for two years with out a cooling fan going on the cpu. the fan would start up run 30 seconds then stop. He put a new cpu into the machine with his power supply and it worked . Did a bunch of clean up and other things. Stopped the computer put in my old power supply wouldnt work. Checked the machine over found it had just blew the new cpu. He said the mother board had somthing burnt in it as weel. And he had another machine which would be cheaper than fixing mine. Mine was a IBM case and the power supply was different from most machines we havwe around here.The other supplys are to big for the case. So I bought another machine 150 dollars. cheap at any price 2.6 gig speed p4 with 1.2 gig memery twice as fast as mine was going. He also took my hard drive put it in the machine and reset everything. So I was able to save all my files and programs. all for 200 dollars . I couldnt ask for anything better. Also thanks for your help as well I was feeling down and everything yous told me help to cheer me up thanks again.. :D :D :D

rej
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 2014 roc-tech 4x8 with servos

Post by rej »

larry, good to hear it all worked out for you.
now start making some stuff and post the pics.
i want to see you put to use what you learned here last year.
we missed you this year and hope you can join us again some time.
take care,
rob
http://www.3dsigncamp.com
http://www.roctechusacnc.com

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

I thought about going down again this spring but things didnt work out that way.