Cnverting Aspire toolpaths for 4th axis machining

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Cnverting Aspire toolpaths for 4th axis machining

Post by Greolt »

dhellew2 wrote: I tried using wrapper but ran into feed rate issues. I need to run the x-axis at F30 while running the a-axis at F3000. These are actually about the same speed. Short of hand editing 28,000 blocks of code any suggestions?
There is a saying about using CNC, "The machine will do what you tell it to do, not what you think it will do"

Mach will set the feedrate to make it correct at a given radius but you need to tell Mach to do so.

The first is in the Toolpath Configuration. "Use Diameter for Feedrate" Set as per pic.

ToolpathConfiguration.jpg

The next is the Rotation Diameter. Note that this should read Rotation Radius.

If your Z zero is at the centre of the axis then set this to zero. If Z zero is at say 2" radius then set it to 2

In the example pic it is set to 40, I work in metric, but I mostly have zero at job centre, so it is usually 0.

SettingsPage.jpg
Set like this Mach will work out the feedrate to make it correct at the radius the cutter is working.

As the radius changes during cutting, Mach will compensate and adjust the rotating axis speed to keep the feedrate correct.

Also this will make the toolpath display show correctly to scale.

There will always be the design limitation of your machine.

If like mine, your A axis will only turn at 3000 degrees per minute then that is the limit that Mach must of course not exceed.

Not to do so would be unworkable. This is a machine limitation, not a gcode limitation.

Greg

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Greg, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try. The setup for the Legacy a-Axis is based on a small gear and a large gear. Typically when rounding the a-axis feed rate is set between F6000 and F12000. For carving the F3000 closely matches x-axis set to F30. :D Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

Greg!
Thanks for this thread! I make wood flute stands on cnc lathe and was wanting a way to engrave on the 4th axis... You're saving me here! Especially helpful are the screen captures of each mach setup...I can now copy your set-up so as not to make an error.
ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 28 21.02.gif
I would like to wrap a small logo or name around 1.4" diameter.
What do you think Greg, can wrap go that small and still look clean?
Thanks,
Glenn

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

glenn wrote: I would like to wrap a small logo or name around 1.4" diameter.
Well that depends on what you are toolpathing.

Gcode has no knowledge of what you are machining. It does not care if it is 1/4" diameter, or 1/4 mile. :D

Remember that wrapping, no matter how you achieve it, is a poor man's 4th axis toolpath.

There is always distortion. We just have to work within those limitations.

If we take a sheet of paper and wrap it into a cylinder, that is not much distorted.

Now imagine that same piece of paper is 2" thick. Much more stretch of the outer surface and shrinking of the inner surface.

However within those constraints we can still do a lot of creative stuff.

So with your 1/4" diameter, it depends on what you want to machine into it.

Greg

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

glenn wrote:Greg!
Thanks for this thread! I make wood flute stands on cnc lathe and was wanting a way to engrave on the 4th axis... You're saving me here! Especially helpful are the screen captures of each mach setup...I can now copy your set-up so as not to make an error.
ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 28 21.02.gif
I would like to wrap a small logo or name around 1.4" diameter.
Thanks,
Glenn
My cousin makes pens, & I will be trying to put carving/writing on them once I get the 4th axis built for my machine. I would suggest that on Oct 2 you download the free trial of Andrews Version 2 CNCWrapper software. Then try wrapping something that size and cut it into a scrap to test it. I believe the site will have the actual file on it then.
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

ManitobaKeith wrote: My cousin makes pens, & I will be trying to put carving/writing on them once I get the 4th axis built for my machine. I would suggest that on Oct 2 you download the free trial of Andrews Version 2 CNCWrapper software. Then try wrapping something that size and cut it into a scrap to test it. I believe the site will have the actual file on it then.
Hi Keith,

Where will the download be available from?

Thanks,
Dave
--------------
Dave

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

fretsman68 wrote:
ManitobaKeith wrote: My cousin makes pens, & I will be trying to put carving/writing on them once I get the 4th axis built for my machine. I would suggest that on Oct 2 you download the free trial of Andrews Version 2 CNCWrapper software. Then try wrapping something that size and cut it into a scrap to test it. I believe the site will have the actual file on it then.
Hi Keith,

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Sorry to take so long to reply. Just rolled into Columbia, SC tonight and got internet again.
It wouldn't be nice for me to pre-release it for Andrew, so I will let him make the announcement when he has the working file on his site.

I can say, it is looking great and I believe the only thing left for him to do in this release is to complete the help file - always the last thing to get done :lol: . I will be showing it at the SC show, I believe on Friday, but I will check with Jim tomorrow to confirm.

The Beta testers and myself kept adding things we would like and I believe Andrew has been burning the candle at too many ends, so will get this release "out the door while it is working great" and add our desired EXTRAS to the 2.01 release which will be a free update. By doing so, he won't compromise the program by putting in code that has not been completely tested.

Edit: I would look in this section - possibly this link on October 2 for the site
- only two more sleeps :D
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

ManitobaKeith wrote:
fretsman68 wrote:
Hi Keith,

Thanks,
Dave
No problem at all, Keith, thanks for the reply - :wink:

Dave

Hi Dave,
Sorry to take so long to reply. Just rolled into Columbia, SC tonight and got internet again.
It wouldn't be nice for me to pre-release it for Andrew, so I will let him make the announcement when he has the working file on his site.

I can say, it is looking great and I believe the only thing left for him to do in this release is to complete the help file - always the last thing to get done :lol: . I will be showing it at the SC show, I believe on Friday, but I will check with Jim tomorrow to confirm.

The Beta testers and myself kept adding things we would like and I believe Andrew has been burning the candle at too many ends, so will get this release "out the door while it is working great" and add our desired EXTRAS to the 2.01 release which will be a free update. By doing so, he won't compromise the program by putting in code that has not been completely tested.

Edit: I would look in this section - possibly this link on October 2 for the site
- only two more sleeps :D
--------------
Dave

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Vectric & Wrapped Toolpaths

Post by BrianM »

Vectric and wrapped toolpaths

We have been following these discussions with a great deal of interest. When Greg visited Vectric a good while ago he was very keen on wrapped output from VCP / Aspire, as have a number of other individual and OEM customers. We have supported wrapped output of toolpaths from a particular OEM version of VCP for over 12 months but I have always worried about the lack of ‘ease of use’ as we can’t preview the result of the wrapped toolpath. This was not a problem for the OEM version as it was mainly diamond drag / very shallow engraving. We have always strived with the Vectric product range to produce software which is easy to use and also allows the user to visualise their results before they ever cut it on the CNC. Unfortunately with wrapped toolpath output this visualisation capability is lost. However the enthusiasm which has been shown for wrapped output on this thread has convinced me to change my mind and I have added the wrapped toolpath output option to the next version of VCP / Aspire (this will be a free upgrade for existing users as it will me a ‘minor’ point release). We are currently Beta testing and hope to be able to release about the time of the user groups.
Brian

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

This is fantastic, Brian, thank you!

Dave
--------------
Dave

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

we are ready for this brian, looks like driving range rovers in the mud and desert does you good!!!!

jim
Attachments
IMG_4888.JPG
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Now I AM going to have to add that lathe!!!! :lol:

Thanks,
Nick

Joey Jarrard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger I & Cobra ATC

Post by Joey Jarrard »

Brian,
This is great news for us we have been fighting the issue of high priced software for the 4th axis for a long time. We feel we have a great feature for our machines the interest has always been there we were just shut down when it came down to the software selection the end user would have to use. Some times it was the price of the software or the level of difficulty in the software that killed the deal.

But today is a new day we get to Jims and see the wrapper and the wizard we felt that the day could get no better, and then the news from you. I feel we are on the edge of some thing huge. This is going to allow customers to expand there offerings. For the past 2 years my knowledge of your products and the folks behind them has made a great impact on me. Our Recoil will have more interest thanks to you.

Thanks for the great news. And just to let you know Jim has gave you a great thing this weekend. I had a great time today learning more about all the products. James Booth did a great job and I am having a hard time going to sleep in anticipation to what tomorrow will bring.

Thanks,
Joey Jarrard
CAMaster CNC

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

manitoba keith!!! to you who fefinantly gets the award for fartherest travel, (and in a car no less) thank you for attending and presenting the wizard, yes we know aspire will soon do this but it was obvious that the software has come a long way!!! i look forward to seeing you again soon

jim mcgrew
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Lrob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Lrob »

Brian,

You made my day, week, month. Heck, you made my year with 4th axis support.

Thanks.

Larry