Help with machine issue?

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: other software 50-50 router, Mach3, Epilog 60W

Help with machine issue?

Post by lockeyone »

Here is my first go at doing any thing with the 3D side of Aspire. This was sort of a copy of one the guys here ideas. Heart was drawn in Aspire, dolphins from some slip art of the web. Anyway as you can see in the machined images I am ? loosing steps, something is slipping, control software? I am puzzled. I checked my couplers and all tight. I shut every possible thing down on the computer. Slowed speeds down. Changed the file by changing directions of cut, even re-sized it. On each piece it had similar effects but not in the exact places.
Mach3 software for controller. Never have done much in 3D work. So I am looking for things to look for. As I type this I can think of one setting in Mach3 I should check but wouldn't think it would have this effect.

So what do you think?
Attachments
heart-3d-a.jpg
heart-3d-b.jpg
3D Finish a.txt
(573.48 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
If you want to kill time, why not work it to death!

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Help with machine issue?

Post by gravirozo »

hello lockey

i attached your gcode... that looks pretty, also i noticed aspire computed right...
i also use mach (after fightig with my friends).... and the most possible...
if everything is okay with your hardware, no "stcky" screws, no blacklash... then you have to check windows... sure not screensawer, or windows don't turn off hard drive...

also check on make sure no program try to "update"... like printer, scanner or any gadget...

if everything is right, then this is the only possible reason...

the txt file you posted has missing the half of...
Attachments
heartwdolphin.jpg

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

Half the posted code is missing because the file was too big to upload here. So I cut it in half. Since I had the issue early enough in the code I hoped it was enough. I thought I shut all the window stuff off I could think of including my network which is how I move my files. I don't get any effect like this while running 2D projects. Maybe an occasional stalling while pushing the speeds.

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

Ok, here's the deal. After talking to my computer expert he thought I simply didn't have enough memory. This machine since I purchased it 6 years ago was using a Pentium computer and had 512mb of memory. Turned out that machine was maxed out. So now what, new computer? I confiscated my son's P4 2.4ghz with 128mb memory and it had a parallel port. It was just collecting dust in my basement. Added two 1gig sticks of memory. Cleaned all his old games and such off of it, installed my Mach3 and so on. Then hooked up to machine to do some testing and Y & Z axis were smooth but X was just wrong, growled and such. Pretty bummed out at this point. :cry: I had purchased a "Smooth Stepper" for my 3in1 Shoptask machine when I upgraded that computer since if didn't have a parallel port and the add on cards just were not working. The Smooth Stepper worked great on that machine so I moved it over to my router. WOW, I have in the past never been comfortable running this machine past 100ipm and usually never went past 80ipm just so I didn't have issues. This machine ran so smooooooooooooth I set the heart program to 120ipm and it ran perfect. I was surprised at how quick the file ran compared to other runs in the past. So I am one happy camper. :D I hardly slept last night thinking I am going to push the steppers more to see what I can get. I was actually thinking of buying newer machine but maybe I don't need to. This is a ball screw set up and know I have limits to speed. I also recently purchased a Chinese 2hp water cooled spindle and so with the Smooth Stepper and spindle I no longer need in most cases my ear muffs. That Porter Cable was noisy. You know what they say, as soon as I get this unit where I want it I'll sell it and get another one and start the improvement process again. :)

I think I will adjust the dolphins up a bit and run the program again. Last image is a shot from my overhead network camera. I can go in my office while the machine is running and hear/watch the machine running. It has panning on it so I can look around my shop too. I wanted my IT guy to get it so someone on the web could see it too, but he just isn't getting around to it and that is beyond my skills.
Attachments
heart-3d-d.jpg
heart-3d-c.jpg
CamImg.jpg