MIRRORED CARVING FAULT

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Re: MIRRORED CARVING FAULT

Post by dr_when »

Mike,

Who put your Shark together for you? It sounds like you just mounted the gantry backwards. You can either turn it around or reverse two of the wires going to the Y axis. Did you talk to Tim at NextWave who makes the machine for Rockler? He could help you reverse the wires if you don't want to change the gantry. Out of curiosity, does your machine setup look just like the image on Rocklers website? That would be an easy way to check if your gantry is reversed.

Bob
Bob

"He's no fun, he fell right over" - Firesign Theatre

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

Keith, Mike,

Before messing with the stepper motor wires, I would be sure that Mike's gantry is oriented to the table as in the photos.

Tim Owens, the builder and owner of Nextwave who makes the Shark for Rockler can be contacted at:
towens@nextwaveautomation.com

You can also visit this website for more info.... nextwaveautomation.com
Also you could contact Al Wolford at Rockler 1-800-260-9663 x8334

I am not at my machine so I cannot tell you the colors of the wires to switch which really should be switched inside of the control box. I really doubt that Nextwave did not connect them right so double check the gantry orientation. I keep repeating this because the Sharks do not come with the gantry mounted and there is nothing in the documentation to show you how it should be oriented. I know because I first mounted mine reversed.
Attachments
shark.jpg
shark pro.jpg
Bob

MEG2OLD

Post by MEG2OLD »

Hi Bob. This is Mike saying to you that I have never used a Forum before and would ask you to be a little patient with me. I do appreciate your thought and consideration along with the very good advice. Thank you again.
Upon studying your pictures I am quite sure that I have the Gantry correctly fitted.
Once I had confirmed this, I then, had an very long telephone conversation with Keith. The conversation was very deep and really needed him to be here to do a meter check on the wiring.
Due to the big time difference between our countries, after probably around 3 hours on the telephone, I had to get to my bed and Keith had to go out. The conversation did, of course, include some friendly talk of other interests.
I have remembered that when I first got the machine, about 3 weeks ago, I had noticed a seemingly very minor anomaly. There are 3 sets of wire leads, each set is to a different motor (the x, y, z motors). I noticed that, the x set was connected to a motor which drives the gantry along the longer lenth of the machine and the z wires drive it verticaly upwards and downwards.
The "y" wires driving the router across the narrower benchtop, had the little sticker letters "y" in irregular positions. It did pass through my mind that maybe somebody had been interupted in their job. I could see that the inline connectors for the x and the z had been strapped to their correct partners according to the partner's label.
Equally I could see that the "y" connectors were apart simply to allow the whole machine to be delivered in two packages.
After a long night of sleep (it's been a harrowing 3 weeks) I cut the strap free from the 'x' inline connector and put the 'y' to 'x' and did the same with the remaining 'x' and 'y' connectors.
My Mirroring is seemingly corrected. I am elated at the present outcome. Naturally I am not silly enough to think that all is perfect.
I know that I must get somebody with far more electrical knowlede than I, because whereas I made sure that the colouriing of each wire runs to an equal colour,
I must also get the potential load capacities checked for each and every individual wire. There are other things that I shouldn't do, such as checking that the wires are properly connected within the control box.
I would like to send to you, or you to me, a little sketch of the worktop and the 'x', 'y' and 'z' directions now being used, because whereas I marked mine on my worktop, I now have to alter them and I would like to be sure that I am directioanally correct.
I may find it a little difficult to send to you (not being quite conversant with this system) but my email address is: michael.e.golding@btinternet.com Thank you so much. Mike

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

Mike,

It looks and sounds like you are doing fine. I am attaching a photo of the axis on my Shark and the "-" (negative) direction as I have mine set. I normally place my stock to be cut in the same position as shown.

Click on the photo to see a larger view.

Bob
Attachments
directions.jpg
Bob