Bench Grinder wheel help

ezurick

Bench Grinder wheel help

Post by ezurick »

Hi folks. I am hoping someone can help me in finding a solution to a problem I am having. I recently have carved out several different project which layers of front, middle and back get glued together (ie. mantle clock) and of course it has big curves which make it very hard to sand with normal sanders. As you may know, when gluing several pieces together like this creates uneven areas between each piece, which therefore needs a lot of sanding. My issue is sanding those curved areas. After researching some of the monthly projects on here I see Michael uses something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KK ... 0DER&psc=1

I'd love to buy one, but I have a nice 6" bench grinder in my shop which I believe that if I can find the right adapter and wheel, I can achieve the same grinding principle as the oscillating one above. I search and search for bench grinder wheel (6") and adapters, and I can not find anything even close. I know they make them, but I can't seem to find them. Can anyone help me or point me to products that can convert one of my bench grinder wheel into a drum type grinder so I can sand curved areas? I am sure the adapter and drum wheel would be cheaper than purchasing that machine above. Perhaps not... but thought I would ask. Also, I am hoping that this drum wheel is available for different grit.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

ezurick

Re: Bench Grinder wheel help

Post by ezurick »

Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUSM7YW/re ... B0002IXQ4W

And how would I connect this to one of my wheel? What kind of adapter? Unfortunately they don't describe it very well for a bench grinder. I think it is focused more for a hand drill?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

A bench grinder spins WAAYYYY too fast for sanding. A better bet is to chuck those spindle sanders in a drill press. If you don't have a drill press, then build a holder for your power drill.

I happen to like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Osci ... /100061671

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ed, I agree 100% with what GK wrote.

A bench grinder is one dangerous tool if not used properly. That speed turns things that come apart into shrapnel.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Ed,

The sander you linked to would certainly do the job for you. However, if budget permits, the link that Gerry gave to the Ridgid sander from Home Depot is the one I use and I personally think that is the best value on the market!

Being able to swap from the spindle to the belt configuration is mighty handy, and you’ll likely use both on a regular basis. The swap takes less than 30 seconds!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

gkas wrote:A bench grinder spins WAAYYYY too fast for sanding. A better bet is to chuck those spindle sanders in a drill press. If you don't have a drill press, then build a holder for your power drill.

I happen to like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Osci ... /100061671

Naw... I don't have a drill press either... grrrr! lol. I am thinking that WEN oscillating is going to be my best bet for the money then. Thanks for trying though.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi Ed,

The sander you linked to would certainly do the job for you. However, if budget permits, the link that Gerry gave to the Ridgid sander from Home Depot is the one I use and I personally think that is the best value on the market!

Being able to swap from the spindle to the belt configuration is mighty handy, and you’ll likely use both on a regular basis. The swap takes less than 30 seconds!

Michael, the Ridgid sander is $250... the WEN is $130. I was really hoping for a "cheap" way. And I guess building a vise for a power drill would be the cheapest... but unfortunately, I ain't too brilliant on the mechanics of things like that. lol. I guess I'll have to save up for the WEN. The wife rolls her eyes everytime I see something I need... why is that? lol.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Yep. You can tell her you need the sander to make her something - sometimes that’ll work!

I see Amazon has a WEN model that is the same belt and spindle combo as the Ridgid brand, but at lower cost ($180)

Might want to consider that one, too. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6524-Oscilla ... B07MJ7X6D6
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You might want to try Craig's List too. Sometimes one of us old guys buys a bunch of tools and then moves on to the great workshop in the sky. Or someone discovers that it just ain't as easy as it looks, LOL.

BTW, Harbor Freight is also a solution. Back a few years ago I would not have bought anything but throwaway paint brushes from them, but they have gotten better.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

This is just my own experience.

I have the Wen sander and,while I can't say I'm sorry I bought it, the fact is that I use it far less than I thought I would.

For many projects a 3M Scotch-Brite sanding wheel that goes in the electric hand drill is actually more versatile for most of my projects. Adding a flexible shaft to the hand drill makes it easier to reach into spots where the drill is too bulky.
3MPicture1.png
Sanding mops in a dremel are best for fine detail like relief carvings.
SandingMopsPicture1.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I personally use a die grinder with some head porting and polishing kits I have some my wrenching days. You might also check out Izzy Swans drum sanders pretty slick set up for about 5 or 10 buck. Stumpy nubs also has a pretty good offering.
I also have bought the kit from Harbor Freight and will ocassionally chuck the up in my drill press. And yes they do come in different grits to suite your needs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions... appreciate it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

dwilli9013 wrote:I personally use a die grinder with some head porting and polishing kits I have some my wrenching days. You might also check out Izzy Swans drum sanders pretty slick set up for about 5 or 10 buck. Stumpy nubs also has a pretty good offering.
I also have bought the kit from Harbor Freight and will ocassionally chuck the up in my drill press. And yes they do come in different grits to suite your needs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What like this one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
drum sander.jpg
Not a lot of use for what the op is after though :lol:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Stumpy nubs also has a pretty good offering.

Martin,
Not the one I had in mind from Stumpy. He also did some mandrel sanders that you could chuck up in a drill press or a hand drill. I have searched the videos a bit but cant seem to find them now.

This is the offering for Izzy Swans spindle sanders for about 20 bucks this side of the pond. :lol: :lol: :lol:

D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli