A Better Touch Off Method

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

A Better Touch Off Method

Post by TReischl »

Some of you folks probably already saw this idea, but is new to me.

There I was, wasting time cruising YouTube (actually it is only a waste of time if you are watching what the celebrities are doing). I had seen CNCNutz before but it has been awhile since I watched him.

He has modified the macro used in Mach3 and UCCNC so that a nominal material thickness can be input. He explains it way better than I can so you might want to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1fpdYbBFfI

I run Gerry's (Ger21) ScreenSet 2010 so I downloaded the new macro and then modified it using some of calls Gerry makes to DRO's to get values. Not much really. I also changed it so it did not wait for me to touch the plate to the spindle before beginning to probe for the surface. I do not work that way, when I am ready to touch off I just put the plate under the spindle so there is no need for me to touch it with the plate. I also removed some of the delays he has built in to suit his style of operation which I don't use.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Re: A Better Touch Off Method

Post by sawmiller »

i use mach3 2010 file also
and the builtin touchoff script seems to do the same thing, without the need to enter the thickness of the material.
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I've never watched that video, but isn't it the same as the material offset option in the 2010 Screenset?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ger21 wrote:I've never watched that video, but isn't it the same as the material offset option in the 2010 Screenset?
Probably the same result, but the execution is different. A prompt appears on the screen in a pop up window, then a value can be entered or just click it to ignore it. An old guy like me likes to be reminded. . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns