Just Very Curious

madmaxh3
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha

Just Very Curious

Post by madmaxh3 »

I was wondering the other day what other CNC'ers use to determine feeds and speeds for their cutters/bits ?
I'm using a program called GWIZARD, but, it seems that this is geared more toward mills.
Could there be anything better out there for me ?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Just Very Curious

Post by IslaWW »

Try starting at the the defaults for a given bit and increasing the feeds while adjusting the rpm to get the fastest speeds, with the lowest rpms that does not decrease edge quality. Very few, if any chipload calculators are made for wood and especially wood on desktop sized machines
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

IslaWW wrote:Very few, if any chipload calculators are made for wood and especially wood on desktop sized machines
I use Vortex Tools, but I also have an industrial machine. with their calculator though you can adjust. https://www.vortextool.com/images/chipLoadChart.pdf is a PDF, but they have a phone app

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

GWIZARD page wrote:Feeds and Speeds for Wood
G-Wizard has over 1000 materials in its Materials Database, including hundreds of species of wood. It individually adjusts feeds and speeds for each wood species you select to get the best results.
There is a full functional demo.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When I first started out I tried a few different calculators including G-Wizard but I quickly found that it's pretty easy to get the feed/speeds right just by listening and looking. An afternoon experimenting will get you a page of information that is right for what your machine is capable of.