3D Printing

AlbertaClipper
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

3D Printing

Post by AlbertaClipper »

Has anybody tried adding/making a 3D printer hot end and extruder to their 3-axis router? I think it would be relatively easy, hardware wise, since we already have the 3 axis device but what about the software. Could Aspire handle a 3D printing job? I know we would have to edit or write a PP but was wondering if anybody has already tried this.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: 3D Printing

Post by LittleGreyMan »

It's physically doable and some manufacturers sell a printing head.

I doubt Vectric will add this feature. It is not a matter of pp. You have to slice the model at your Z printing resolution and print slice by slice. This has obviously nothing to do with milling toolpaths, so 3D printers use very specific software.

Have a look at Cura:
https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultim ... a-software
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I have recently got into 3D printing and there is much more to the software than you would think. Infills, temperature control, fan control, supports, skin thickness etc etc. Add in the lack of undercut support in Aspire (understandable given its purpose) it would be a whole new piece of software really.

The other thing is that sawdust and molten plastic don't play well together. The amount of cleaning required between switches would be a nightmare.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Ditto to what Adrian said. I have a commercial grade 3-D printer that I got ripped a new one when I bought it, which has to heat to around 300°F before it starts and has two heads to print supports. 3-D printers have involved now where a good one is relatively inexpensive. Here's a link for price comparisons: http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters

Gary

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Check the Mach3 forum. It's been done long ago.
But the previous posts are correct, has nothing to do with Vectric, you would need an actual slicer.

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Post by dbrook »

I you are interested in getting into 3D printing and don't want to spend a bundle there is an inexpensive 3D printer that I have found that works well and is made well. it is the Monoprice 115365 Select Mini 3D Printer with Heated Build Plate, Includes Micro SD Card and Sample PLA Filament. I found it on Amazon and made the purchase shortly after Christmas. I comes with software. It has work flawlessly printing numerous mechanical parts I have designed in Aspire. I don't think you can beat the price for the quality. There is a good community of users out there as well as numerous video segments on it on Youtube. I considered the CR10 printer with a larger build area but decided to go with the Monoprice as a first learning step. The CR10 or adding an extruder to my cnc table may well be the next step. I attached a picture of special knob I designed in Aspire and printed for a friend.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
Knob Preview.PNG

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Post by rwebcon »

Would it be possible to get info on how you created the stl file for printing and getting it ready for the Mono printed?

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dbrook »

I created the 2D vectors (attached) and modeled the four components in Aspire 9.5.

Dan
Attachments
Knob Drawing.PNG

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dbrook »

I exported the model as a STL. Next I brought the STL into CURA where I sliced and printed it on the Monoprice MINI printer.

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Post by rwebcon »

Which addition of CURA did you use - Mltimaker, Lulzpot.

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dbrook »

I am using Ultimaker CURA version 3.2.1 with the “ Monoprice Select” for the machine configuration.
I will be happy to share additional specifics on how I did the model and/or on the printer setup if needed.