gunner
Model of CNC Machine: sharkhd4

Post by gunner »

Hello everyone new member and new to CNC's looking at purchasing a machine before end of year. looking for any tips. lookout fors. good bad and ugly anything that might be helpful thanks in advance

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: newbie

Post by 4DThinker »

Do you have any idea what you want to make with your CNC when you get it? CNCs come in sizes down to 12" x 13" x 3" capacity (perhaps smaller) all the way up to 5' x 10' and much larger if your budget is unlimited.

Do you want to make furniture parts and joinery, or mainly signs and plaques and flat parts for simple assemblies? Perhaps cabinets including frames, doors and drawer fronts?

Do you have a budget goal or limit?

4D

gunner

Post by gunner »

more towards the flat items right now i'm leaning towards the shark hd4 extended

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

One advantage of Sharks is that they come with the required software and are basically plug and play. No significant software setup is required. Some mechanical assembly is required, but it is not very difficult.
Their main disadvantage is that the construction is not as rigid as all metal CNCs are.
That said, I have a Shark Pro Plus. If I had to replace it I would pick the HD4.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I also started with a Shark pro. Although mine still works fine, I only have a small Bosch trim router on it. We have a Shark HD2 where I work and have a full sized Porter Cable router on it. The work Shark gets rare use as there is so much play in the plastic Z axis assembly that you can't use it for anything more than simple cuts. Some 3D carving where the bit only takes off a small amount of wood with each pass for example. A quick glance at nextwaveautomation's site shows they haven't really improved that aspect of their design.

When I needed more cut room I bought a Probotix Meteor 25 x 50 CNC. It has less usable Z room than the Shark, but is a much more complete configuration including limit switches, an emergency stop right on the CNC frame. It comes with a PC running Linux and LinuxCNC as the control software. IMO a far more versatile control program than the control software that comes with the Sharks. You'll need to come up with software to generate the drawings and G-code with. The Sharks comes with Vectric's vCarve Pro. You can add it to your purchase if you buy a CNC from Probotix.

The bed is MDF which leaves it to you to come up with a strategy for holding parts down. You can get it with a grid of threaded inserts embedded into it. They can be used directly, or you can use those inserts to hold down strips of MDF with t-track in between them. You could also replace the whole bed with t-track. What I value most about the Meteor is that I can reconfigure that bed for whatever I may need to cut with it. Clamping furniture parts vertically or at an angle beneath it is something you can't do so easily with a Shark. I've hung an assembled furniture carcass beneath my Meteor to cut mortises on the bottom for attaching tapered legs that were also produce on the CNC. Probotix also has several options available you can include with your purchase, or add-on later. Touch puck, A tool length sensor (ATLaS), and more. At this time you can likely order one with a heavier duty gantry beam and taller gantry uprights for more Z axis clearance. They are working on an automatic tool changer option as well. I've been able to customize mine for more X and Y travel, faster feed speeds, and much more. You won't be able to change much about how a Shark runs, as their software is proprietary.

4D

gunner

Post by gunner »

thanks guys just the kind of info I was looking for keep it coming

gunner

Post by gunner »

anyone else have any imput on the Probotix looked at it and kinda like it comparing to the Shark HD4

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Can't help you with any info on the Probotix machines, but I run their boards, drivers, motors and power supply on my home built router.
Their tech support department helped me a lot when I was deciding on my build list and backed it up when I had an issue.
Turned out that I had a PC issue rather than a problem with their board. Phone support was even done from the other side of the world.
Great company to deal with!!