Dust shoe for HSD 915 Tool Changer.

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

Dust shoe for HSD 915 Tool Changer.

Post by Gundawg »

I am making another run at this project. I am taking a different approach in rather than automating the shoe to changing my tool holder rack to a pedestal type tool holder system of my design. I have made 10 of them and plan to remove the rack. Thermwood uses this system but they have specific collet chucks that have a flange I thought about going to this style and buying their holders but at a cost of over $1500 for all the parts I need. I decided to make my own tool holders to hold the collet chucks. This will change how the tool is changed by not having to slide in the tool holder rack with a horizontal move instead it will make a Z axis plunge to the tool holder pedestal and drop or pickup a tool this will allow me to use a dust shoe that surrounds the cutting tool better. I will post a picture of the new tool holder pedestal let me know what you think.
20170901_160923.jpg
20170901_161126.jpg
20170901_161137.jpg

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Dust shoe for HSD 915 Tool Changer.

Post by Gundawg »

Here is a video of someone who converted to the Thermwood style my machine is also a ShopSabre.

This is how my machine changes tools now. You can see how in the 1st video how long a dust skirt that can be used which is important for how I use my machine.

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

Here is todays progress. First picture is before I started. Tomorrow I need to test the tool height switch and set the Z axis heights for the tool changes I already tested the X & Y axis coordinates but it got late so I quit for the night.
20170906_112955.jpg
This picture just shows the old rack removed.
20170906_115531.jpg
I cut some .050" deep pockets for the new tool holders to make sure they are accurately placed.
20170906_131924.jpg
The tool holders installed showing the bottom of the dust shoe around one tool holder showing fit I haven't put the brush on that part yet.
20170906_171841.jpg
Attachments
20170906_171825.jpg

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

I am not sure if anyone was interested in this project as there are no comments but here is a video of the finished product I am very pleased in how it turned out. I was able to save all the old parts and files to turn it back to factory condition if I want to but I think I am going to like it. I also added 5 new tool positions I just need to buy the collet chucks. I can now run a dust shoe with a long skirt and it all removes really easily.

Mike

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I've been following it Mike, but as I'll probably never use it, and know nothing about ATC...I kept my mouth shut:)
Great job!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

scottp55 wrote:I've been following it Mike, but as I'll probably never use it, and know nothing about ATC...I kept my mouth shut:)
Great job!!
scott
Thanks Scott maybe someone will find this of use some day I know I did a lot of searching to find info on this subject.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I'm sure someone will Mike....but not everyone has the need as much as Miller Marine does. :D
Me...I STILL haven't made spacers and a 3" brush plate for mine yet, and surfacing oddball stuff means a lot of vacuuming...you'd think my inherent laziness would have prompted me to put that project on the front burner:)
This thread may prompt me to it:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

I have 1 last video I will share here to keep it all together in one place. This video shows the efficiency of the new dust shoe and a tool change with the dust shoe in place.

Mike

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

I think many people are interested, but ATC is sort of the holy grail. So, many are watching not knowing what to say. I'd love to add on an ATC....

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Post by usLEDsupply »

How do you like in now that you have had it a bit?
Where did you get the new holders or did you make them?
My IS 510 should be here next week and i am worried about the standard dust shoe not working well enough and this may be the ticket:-)

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

usLEDsupply wrote:How do you like in now that you have had it a bit?
Where did you get the new holders or did you make them?
My IS 510 should be here next week and i am worried about the standard dust shoe not working well enough and this may be the ticket:-)
I like the new setup. I did make the tool holders I can send you the file if you want to make them. The dust shoe they come with now is better than the one my machine came with back in 2014 so you may want to try it before you decided to make the change they wanted around $350 to upgrade mine to the latest dust shoe and I was not confident it would work well so I was not willing to gamble the $$. There is a down side to this style tool holder you are limited to how large a tool will fit. The max tool that could be loaded in the holder would be about 1.5" the tool holders measure about 1.95" and you need to have enough surface area for the collet chuck to rest on the holder. I have a spoilboard surfacing bit that doesn't fit in the rack but to me that is no big deal I never left it in the rack anyway. I just load that bit by hand send it to do a tool height surface the spoilboard remove it by hand change the bit and send the new bit back to the height switch and I am good to go. It would be a disaster to have it try and do a tool change with the big bit loaded.

I will add when I made my tool holders I made the bore 1" so if I wanted to load a larger tool than 1" I could bore the holder out to 1.625" but I would not make it any bigger than that. The largest tool I use is .625" and most of them are much smaller.

Mike

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

Here is a PDF of the parts. The one drawing is how it all assembles the large rectangle parts you need 2 of and the donut with the 4 holes you need 2 of if you are making them from 1/2" material. I also used a piece of automotive vacuum hose in a ring in the bottom so it would have a little cushion.
Shop Sabre Tool Holders.pdf
(105.19 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Shop Sabre Tool Holders.dxf
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 278 times