Problem with a program.

DMcDonald
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop2

Problem with a program.

Post by DMcDonald »

So we ran this program yesterday 2x with no problems. On the 3rd try when it finished toolpath 1 and went to change tools the gantry stopped about 2 feet back and started to park the tool in the table. We had this happen a couple weeks ago on another program. That time the bit stabbed into the spoil board and actually dragged it towards the tool changer before I hit stop. We copied the vectors to a new drawing and redid the toolpaths and that fixed it but not sure of what might be causing this. I tried to upload the crv but it is over the size limit. Here is a link to the download. Thanks for any help.

https://attachment.outlook.office.net/o ... .com&isc=1

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Problem with a program.

Post by martin54 »

I am getting a 440 timeout error on your link so not sure if it's just my system or others won't be able to download the file to help as well :lol: :lol:

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The only time I see similar behaviour is when the file being cut is corrupt. This can happen several ways, and depends on how the cut files get to the CNC controller.
It is critical when using USB thumb drives or portable hard drives that they are safely ejected by the PC. Pulling a drive out while it is still being written to will almost always leave you with a corrupt file. In addition it may corrupt the file allocation table on the drive so that even future file ejected safely may still end up corrupt.

On my CNC Shark where g-code travels down a USB cable to get to the controller I've had Windows time-outs and power saving strategies interrupt that data flow and leave the CNC doing something it shouldn't have.

So inspect the data flow, both as the file comes to the CNC, and while/where the controller is sending control info to the motors. A loose wire anywhere along this chain might be your culprit.

4D

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Your link does not work.

I agree to safely EJECT the drive before pulling the UBS out of the main computer.

Problems like that which you describe are almost always (95%) not attributed to the vectric programs. It is almost always something else.

Corrupt files - lost steps - feeds and speeds - machine malfunction - electrical issues - or any number of or combination of things.

IF - there was something in the G-Code program the issue would be exactly the same, all the time.

SOMETIMES - the settings for Z height can be an issue. If you could show us the G-Code file we can read it and see if there are any "Z" level clearance issues.

If you could post the Vectric file we can check that.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

DMcDonald

Post by DMcDonald »

See if this link works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avwtywhxb1pa8 ... 9.crv?dl=0

We use a usb to transfer the cut files to the machine. The process is to save the prg to the usb, then save the crv to the usb. We then close the vcarve program and hit the eject for the usb. Once it says safe to remove device unplug it and transfer to the machine. Thanks for the replies so far. I got the job done by rewriting everything just would like to know what caused it so I can avoid the problem again.

DMcDonald

Post by DMcDonald »

P APPLE(1).zip
(826.26 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
tried to add a zipped file. not sure if it will work.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

So we ran this program yesterday 2x with no problems. On the 3rd try
Were you running the same toolpath files each time, or were you making changes each time? I'm trying to determine if we are solving a file issue, or a machine issue.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

On the 3rd try when it finished toolpath 1 and went to change tools the gantry stopped about 2 feet back and started to park the tool in the table. We had this happen a couple weeks ago on another program. That time the bit stabbed into the spoil board and actually dragged it towards the tool changer before I hit stop.

Sure sounds like an issue with the machine's tool change routine.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I agree with all the above suggestions and would add, check your computer, if it's not paying 100 percent attention to the CNC it's not really controlling the CNC. This can be background apps taking up too much processor time. I had a hard drive going out on mine a year or so ago and this cause the computer to spend too much time trying to access the HD which caused the CNC to go off in areas it wasn't meant to be.

One more issue that I can think of. Make sure everything is properly grounded! This will cause all sorts of strange issues.
John
Maker of Chips

DMcDonald

Post by DMcDonald »

The controller for the cnc is just for the machine. It is a Laguna Smartshop2. Only use the laptop for writing the programs then transfer with a usb. Yes I ran this program and it ran correctly then it did this redid the program and no further problems.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Not clear on your description - but if you are running straight from the usb, this could be the issue. I always copy the file from the usb to the computer running my machine. Also,my machine computer has been cleaned of any program that interrupts.

DMcDonald

Post by DMcDonald »

The computer that controls the cnc is dedicated to the cnc. The only thing on it is a few programs that get ran all the time. I use the usb to transfer from the laptop to the cnc.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you running directly off the USB though or are you copying the file to the CNC computer hard drive and running it from there?

DMcDonald

Post by DMcDonald »

Yes copying it to the cnc computer. The laguna has a computer that is dedicated to running the cnc. It does not run the vectric program. It only has the prg. in it.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Let's step back and think a moment here. . . .

You ran the program at least once, and it ran correctly.

This is a program that is in the control's memory. It does not get downloaded from the USB each time it runs.

Here is where the thinking comes in. If the program ran one time correctly, then either you have some electrical issues or the control is having its memory corrupted. Having been around computers for just about forever, it is very rare that memory suddenly goes corrupt. Yes, yes, it can happen but the probability is infinitesimal.

There is a tendency to point the finger at whatever the operator does not understand. Usually that is the programming if they cannot read g code. It is all a big huge mystery to them so it MUST be the program!

I would bet dollars to donuts you have electrical or mechanical problems, not software issues.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns