NextEngine vs David 3D scanner

FMAZ
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

NextEngine vs David 3D scanner

Post by FMAZ »

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I would appreciate any help.

I am looking for a 3D scanner for the purpose of scanning small religious carvings and reproducing them later on a CNC. The carvings range in size from around 4 inches tall to 2-3 feet tall. I've been looking at the NextEngine and the David, but I'm not sure which would be best for my purposes. I've read the manuals of both units, but neither seemed very detailed. I've met someone who had used the NextEngine for years, and has recently switched to the David and said he's never going back, so that swayed my opinion more towards the David.

If you are familiar with both units, could you please help me with making this decision? What are some pros/cons of each unit? Which do you find easier to work with, and which do you find creates a more accurate model?

Thanks!

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: NextEngine vs David 3D scanner

Post by dwilli9013 »

I have actually designed a 3d printer that is marketed today and the best scanner I have found is a Kinect scanner used with the xbox 360. Look at the wikipedia for the Kinect scanner lots of good information for a far cheaper scanning solution. I have actually scanned full featured busts of people via this scanner and the quality will rival the high dollar scanners on the market. Best advice research research research there is no replacement for this. Check it out can't hurt to look.
Dwayne
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

The next engine does hi res scans but is very slow. The David structural scanner is very fast but not as high of resolution but will do a much bigger scan.
Don

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I bought a DAVID SLS-2, which is now HP for about $3,400. I was terribly disappointed in the scans. If I didn't bring each scan into ZBrush and do major corrections, they would be unusable. Anyway, I sold it on EBay for $1,200. I hope they have better results than I did. Using different resolutions, the attacted picture is a typcial scan. Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

If you want to make your own (also can be purchased), check out Ciclop.
I made one and it works great.
https://www.bq.com/en/ciclop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Frunple wrote:If you want to make your own (also can be purchased), check out Ciclop.
I made one and it works great.
https://www.bq.com/en/ciclop
Will check that out thanks, would be interested in knowing more as well, surely this can't compare with a high end scanner if you want to use it for serious work though.
Had a bit of a look into touch probes a while ago & although there were some good options for home use in my sort of price range I wouldn't have felt confident actually trying to produce something for a paying customer with what I could afford :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I have read some great reviews of this ipad scanner
http://structure.io/

So much so that I splurged and bought one, haven't had the time to mess with it yet though.
There are alot of options out there and I know relevant info/reviews can be hard to find.
Doug

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

martin54 wrote: surely this can't compare with a high end scanner if you want to use it for serious work though.
Why not?

Of course taking into account the size limitations is one thing, but as far as the scan quality, absolutely matches anything I've seen so far.
Look at the youtube videos for it. Most are in Spanish, since that's where it came from, so I don't know if that would deter you or not, but I bet you'll be surprised.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Frunple wrote:
martin54 wrote: surely this can't compare with a high end scanner if you want to use it for serious work though.
Why not?

Of course taking into account the size limitations is one thing, but as far as the scan quality, absolutely matches anything I've seen so far.
Look at the youtube videos for it. Most are in Spanish, since that's where it came from, so I don't know if that would deter you or not, but I bet you'll be surprised.
I know it's not always the case but generally the high end stuff sold for business use will carry a higher price tag for reasons other than to make a Company a huge profit :lol: :lol: Might be build quality, speed, output quality, product support etc etc. That was the reason for questioning it's use against high end equipment.

Really questioning the scan quality/resolution & ease of use more than anything with this I guess, speed isn't quite so important to me. Some things may be good for personal/hobby use but not really suitable for business use :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to provide additional Info, will definitely look further into this if the scan quality is as good as you have seen, Spanish videos won't put me off checking as I will still be able to view the results although from a personal point of view it would have been better for me in English, might be able to get my Daughter to translate for me :lol: :lol:

Thanks also to the OP for asking the question & hope you don't see this as a hijack :lol: :lol: While I would like a 3d scanner for lots of different reasons something like the NextEngine or Davids are way out of my price range :oops: