Machine Lines when V carving

rschaeffer83
Model of CNC Machine: Custom

Machine Lines when V carving

Post by rschaeffer83 »

Was wondering if anyone has any tips or trick to get rid rid of or lessen machine lines
when v-carving. I was using a brand new bit and router. Also, I measured the y axis and it is in sync. I tried getting the router perfectly 90deg to the spoil board by using a bent steel rod. I put the bent steel rod in the router chuck and measured the distance with feeler gauges while rotating it. It helped make the cut a lot cleaner but the lines are still there. I am getting a more accurate gauge to get it closer to 90 but was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and how they fixed it. I am cutting into white pine and my cut depth was .0625 each pass.

Thanks
Ryan

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Machine Lines when V carving

Post by 4DThinker »

It is possible that the v-bit isn't exactly what it claims to be. I've seen 60 degree bits that were closer to 58 degrees between blades. I've seen 90 degree bits that were off by more than a degree or two. If you can check the angle of your bit, then enter whatever you come up with into the tool description you should get better results.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Machine Lines when V carving

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Another workaround is to use a larger diameter V-bit so you can cut in fewer passes -- preferably 1 pass.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop