Spindle Motor

hooked
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: SCRATCH BUILT CNC ROUTER

Spindle Motor

Post by hooked »

Hi All,

I am using my scratch built CNC router with Aspire and figure I will be aged 110 before I start to feel on top of it all.

I'm using a laminate trimmer in the CNC and the noise is starting to upset the kangaroos and koalas who no longer visit my yard. (True) Oh, it upsets my wife a bit too.

Anyway, I want to fit a spindle motor and I'm not sure what I need .....cooling/non cooling, 400W - 2.2KW Ebay/not Ebay. I just don't know.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I'm looking for some direction before I get my wallet out.

The kangaroos and koalas (and my wife) thank you in advance.

Daryl

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: SPINDLE MOTOR

Post by FixitMike »

I got a SuperPID controller (Which is built in kangaroo land) for my router motor. It takes some wiring skill, and modification of the router to assemble and install it. But it was well worth it. The router can now run as slow as 5000 rpm, and is quieter at all speeds. Much less expensive than a spindle with its water cooling system.

http://www.superpid.com
SuperPID.JPG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

I used a router for a long time before I bought a air cooled spindle. The spindle is a lot quieter and runs better. Use the router to learn on and upgrade at a later time.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Second the Super PID, most of the time I run around 15,000 RPM much quieter and if I drop it to 10,000 or lower it's really quiet.

But like Mike said, it requires some wiring skills and the courage to modify your router to install the RPM sensor.
John
Maker of Chips

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

One thing to consider, is the weight that the spindle will add to your set up. A water cooled spindle will also add extra weight of the coolant.
I run a 800w eBay water cooled spindle on my home build and the spindle runs nice and cool in mid summer and I'm in Tropical North Queensland.
I started off using a laminate trimmer, but it very quickly got sent packing due to the noise.
The noise of the spindle is low enough that I can have a comfortable conversation on the phone whilst it's running. I'm usually running mine at around 8-10k rpm.

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

How difficult do you guys rate the SuperPID install. I have been looking at it and really want to pull the plug on it to get into plastics and acrylics but keep second guessing myself. The instructions look pretty straight forward but thought I would ask you opinions. I have access to alot of electricians and electrical engineers so I know they can bail me out if I get in a mess but I do have a tendency to plan too much to not have to ask for help. :shock:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

The wiring is very simple and straight forward. The only tricky part is mounting the sensor, and the difficulty depends on your specific router. But there are lots of pics in the manual showing various installations.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

There is a bit of wiring in the enclosure, so be generous when sizing it.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Spindle Motor

Post by martin54 »

Bonch, it really depends on the individual, I would personally say it is very easy but then with my background it would be difficult for me to say anything else, there is a lot of info floating about & as others have said there are lots of pictures showing installations. Best bet really is to look at some of the info available as you are the only person who really knows your own abilities.

Found this youtube video where the guy has the same sort of machine as yours if your profile is accurate :lol: :lol: Haven't watched it all but looked to be informative, there are a lot of other videos on youtube you could look at.