Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Re First Cut Disaster

Post by Rik »

O.K. I downloaded it and will try it in the morning. Thank you

NathanD

Re: Upload a txt file

Post by NathanD »

If your text file makes your post exceed the maximum character count, you can turn to an external source such as pastebin, pastie or snippet sharing website. Two linked here:

http://pastie.org/
http://pastebin.com/

These may prove better for your posts readability sake.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Sorry for the delay, Grandkids came to use the pool.
I did exactly as you instructed, the results were ;
I ran the circle test file.All axis moved in there proper direction, but the X and Y are jerky and stall, lose steps(I can see the DRO moving although the axis is not)
and X and Y seem to run faster that they should.
The Z axis moves and sounds like I expected it to.
Question, why can't I use my hot keys to jog and only the jog pendant??

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

O.K. frumple. I hope I'm not being presumptuous but, I'm ready for the next step

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Rik wrote:O.K. frumple. I hope I'm not being presumptuous but, I'm ready for the next step
Try the attached xml (in the zip file).

As for jogging, check the two attached pictures.
Is Jogging on (green light around it), it's on the main page.
Capture.PNG
Is jogging mode set to continuous? Press tab to open.
Capture1.PNG
Attachments
Ricks machine.zip
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

O.K. copied new xml, got the same results as the last one. X and Y still losing steps in positive direction. The X and Y axis stop and the
motor keeps going, then when it changes direction in X and Y it regains movement. I am thinking that the speed at which
the acceleration is set, or maybe the micro step settings are too fast. I don't know that's just me thinking out loud.
So what's next?.
After writing this,I tried something on a hunch. I lowered the percentage of jog for each axis until they ran fast and smooth as a trial.
X axis ran great at 70% of 100%
Y axis ran great at 50% of 100%
Z axis ran great at 65% of 100%
Is there a way to get these settings for each axis?. I will not try anything else I promise.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

You're pretty much at the point where you need to do the rest yourself anyway.

All that's left is to set the velocity and acceleration.
You can google how to do it. Just search for "setting max velocity and acceleration on a cnc" or something similar.

Basically you start at a very low setting, then gradually increase until it does what you are seeing now, the motor spins without the axis moving. MAKE SURE YOU ARE JOGGING AT 100% THOUGH.
Then you reduce that setting by 20 - 30%.
Only thing is, I have your settings pretty low already and you are already losing steps... not gonna be good.
In searching for how to set the dip switches, all I found was bad things about that tb6000 board. You'll probably want to upgrade if you stick with this.

Is the keyboard control working now?? You have a habit of skipping things that are "fixed", and since you haven't mentioned it, I'm assuming it's working again.

So tune the motors, and you should be good.
Good luck.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Yes they are working very good.
So I guess now it's up to me to tune my motors so they don't lose steps, o.k. I will try and do that, but in the meantime,
I want to thank you very much for your assistance and guidance with my issues. I will report back with my results
as soon as I can.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Riks Update

Post by Rik »

I have been ill, reason for long time between posts. So I found I had interference issues with my Z axis carriage hitting the motor mount. The spindle mounting plate was too long.
This caused me to disassemble the Z axis and make changes to the parts. Did this mean I had to re calibrate the Z axis?. Well I did but, I have questions about calibrating the axis.
If I am not happy with getting the Z to move 1.00"but it moves 0.885" can I compensate by adding the difference to the initial move dimension? When prompted to move the Z axis
should I input 1.115" or should I just accept it and move on? 1.00" - 0.855" = 0.115".
Also I made a new part drawing, tool paths the whole nine yards loaded it up to cut and found these issues.
The Z axis did not cut through the material, and seemed to move too fast for the spindles max cut speed and snapped the cutter right off
How can I cut the feed down 50%? If that can be done??
I also noticed a great deal of flexing in the motor mount bracket, made from REN 590 RED Board. I may have it extending out too far or I need to buy an Aluminum bracket.
Sorry for the delay but I must feel good in order to do this thing !!

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

In Mach3, when you calibrate steps per inch Mach3 should ask how far the axis went - you will enter .885

Repeat the calibration several times.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

O.K. , I'll just accept the setting then. Thanks

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

No

You need to tell Mach3 that it moved .885 and not 1", otherwise the axis will not be calibrated.

Then you do it again until the axis moves your specified 1" within less than .005 preferably within .001

I set up my machine to move 48" and I got that within .001/.002
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

How are you telling the machine to move 1" & how are you measuring the distance the axis actually moved ?
As for the spindle mount there shouldn't really be any flex in it at all, well none that you can detect anyway :lol: :lol:

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Well, after seeing the amount of flex, it is obvious, I need to convert the bracket to an Aluminum piece. That said it will take a rebuild of the Z axis parts.
The Alum. part is wider so I may have to stretch my mount. It has shipped today so I'm in a holding pattern until it arrives.
I had no idea that REN Board was that flexible, wow!.
I used a dial height gage without the pointer attached. The base is heavy enough to keep it stable and I held it down so it wouldn't move.
On the other issue, how can I reduce the feed speed. I am sure it is going to fast.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Is this a machine you have built following a set of plans? If it is then did it not include a materials list for the build ? If you post some pictures of your machine z axis then we may be able to help.
As for reducing the motor speed if the machine is running ok then I would leave the mach3 settings alone, have you set your tooling up correctly in the Vectric tool database ? You set the speed & feed rate for each individual tool you have in the vectric tool database NOT by altering the settings in mach3.