Re First Cut Disaster

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Re: Re First Cut Disaster

Post by JoeM »

Yea, you didn't understand a thing I said. Sorry I can't explain it better, I'll leave it to someone else.

Frunple

Re: Need Help

Post by Frunple »

Rik wrote:It's Rik once again. I tried the MIDI page, inserted the code G0X1 and it did not move but.0015". The way I read it that's only one and a half thousands of an inch.
Judging by that the micro step on the board is set at its lowest value, that' an assumption on my part. Before I go mucking around on the board and smoking it.
I'd like someone to show me where they are on my board.
D9364-6.jpg
With all the other information I gave in my post(First Cut Disaster), which should be forgotten, I must add the motors are NEMA 17.
Please advise me as to how and where to change the micro step settings. I must continue to get my machine running correctly.

I have a feeling you add a zero in for any decimal measurement. You said your motors were .09 degree, actually .9 degree is what I think they are. Never heard of a .09 anyway.
Now your measurement for the movement seems off by another zero addition. Anyway...

The 4 banks of 6 dip switches in the middle of the board are where you make the settings.

Set all 4 banks to the following, starting a 1 and going to 6.
1 On
2 Off
3 On
4 On
5 Off
6 Off

Do this with the power off.

Then go into mach3, config, motor tuning, and set the steps per to 16000. Then click save axis.
Then click the Y axis, set to 16000, Click save axis.
Then click the Z axis, set to 16000, Click save axis.

Try the test again and see how far it moves. It should be exactly 1" on all 3 axes.

BTW, By saying "By experimentation I got it running", I'm assuming that means you went back and unzipped the file instead of just changing the .zip to .xml.
Am I right?

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

I clicked "operator" and then on the list I clicked "reset settings" and reset to the next highest number, 22 out of 23 backups.
If the new xml file I was given has all the correct settings, how do I activate it ?.
I found this value for, .9(400)=360 deg. How did you the get the value, 16000, math is not my strong suit.
I've never had the need to mess with xml file before now. I'm learning new skills here :D

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

O.K. I changed all the DIP switches to what was indicated. When I calibrated the axis each one moved 1.00".
But the hot keys did not work only the jog pendant responded.
But The X and Y axis when jogged were rough and jumpy and when in the positive direction went only a short distance
stopped and made spinning noises. What do you think caused this condition?? Can each switch be set differently?
Should the new xml fix this??

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Be patient Rik, we told you this was a process & you wouldn't have everything sorted in one go, don't touch anything just now, getting the motors to run smoothly will be the next step but I will leave that for frunple to explain as he will probably do it batter than me & as I said in a previous post to many people telling you what to do will just be more confusing :lol: :lol:

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Rik wrote:O.K. I changed all the DIP switches to what was indicated. When I calibrated the axis each one moved 1.00".
But the hot keys did not work only the jog pendant responded.
But The X and Y axis when jogged were rough and jumpy and when in the positive direction went only a short distance
stopped and made spinning noises. What do you think caused this condition?? Can each switch be set differently?
Should the new xml fix this??
What hot keys?
Rough and jumpy spinning noises is most likely the acceleration is too high.
If you aren't gonna use the file I sent, what am I doing here??
Post the xml you are using.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Frumple, it's not that I don't want to comply, it's I'm not sure how to use that xml file.
Do I just put in the Mach 3 xml folder, does it then become the one Mach uses?
How do I access the file??

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If it is zipped then you may need to unzip it, double click on the downloaded file & see if it opens, if it does you will see the file with the xml extension, copy that file & paste it straight into the mach3 folder, (DONT open the mach 3 folder, just highlight it & then paste) I think it has the same name as your old file so you will get a message up to say that a file with that name already exists, select the option to COPY & REPLACE. This will over write the old file with the new one.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Rik wrote:Frumple, it's not that I don't want to comply, it's I'm not sure how to use that xml file.
Do I just put in the Mach 3 xml folder, does it then become the one Mach uses?
How do I access the file??
Just post the file you are using. I need to know what settings you have existing. Not what I set it to.
As I said in my last post.
Post the file you are using.
Please stop trying to do things on your own. Just pay attention to what I'm asking. It's getting old.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Look I'm really trying here. I do not know how to tell which xml is the current file in use. I did what you asked, I dragged and dropped the xml file
that was given to my directly into Mach 3. Now as for your request of the xml I used as I said I do not know how to identify it. I have attached the
last three highest numbered files I have in the backup folder. I notice that I have many backup files numbered 1 thru 46 all with the prefix (xb).
Are there too many backup files? I cannot upload the files, I saved them as txt and the error say they may be an attack vector. I really don't know how to
continue with what you ask of me.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

You're not trying Rick. If you were, you would learn how to do this stuff on your own. There's a Mach3 manual on their page, it will tell you all you need to know. There's a plethora of knowledge, from people who were in your place right now, all over the internet. All you need to do is try and you'll find it.

You say you don't know what to do with the file I sent, yet I know for a fact I explained it to you at least twice. I say that without even looking back on this thread to find the times. Because I know I told you. Step by step. Yet you still want someone to do it for you.
Try.

The xml file in use is the same one you always have been using. I told you before, it's named after the profile you use in Mach3.
You're trying to post backup files, and you specifically say they have an extension of xb. Do you think that is another extension for an XML file??? Maybe you need the file with the extension XML?? Try.

Time to start over....

How do you start Mach3?
There are a number of mach icons placed on the desktop when you install it. Which one do you use to start Mach3??
Right click on it. Then select properties.
It will have a field named "Target:" and will be populated with something like this:

C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill

What does yours say after the /p???
That is the profile you are using when you start mach3.
In the mach3 folder you will find a nunmber of XML files, those are the ones with .xml at the end, and one of them will be named the same thing as the profile you are using. That's the words after the /p.
That's the file I need.
That's the only file I will ever need and the only file I will ever ask you to upload. If I ever give you another file, that would be it.
When I give you another file, you simply, VERY SIMPLY, move it to the mach3 folder and OVERWRITE the existing file. So the one I give you will then be the one you are using.
If you ever forget what to do with a file I give you, come back and re-read this post!

You will probably need to zip that file to post it here.
Do you know how to do that??????
https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+a+f ... e&ie=UTF-8

Post that file.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Upload a txt file

Post by Rik »

Why do I get an error message that says it may be an attack vector when I try to upload a txt file?
Does it matter if I did a save as from an xml file. Having trouble uploading txt files to indicate Mach 3 configurations.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Upload a txt file

Post by PaulRowntree »

I'm not sure, but you can paste it into a code section too

Code: Select all

fdklsa jfdsl;a jfdskla jfds;a jfdskla jfdkslja fdkl;sa 

fds kla jfdsk;a jds;aj fkdls;aj fds
 klfjdls;a fjdskla jfsdkl;a
 fjkdlsa fjd;sa 
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

After the /p it says Ricks Machine
Ricks machine.zip
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
I hope this is it. I followed direction exactly to the letter

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Wasn't so hard, was it??

Only problem is, that file didn't have any of the changes we already made to it, so now it's back to square one again...

This is the new file attached.
Extract the xml file, and put it in the mach3 folder. Start mach and run the tests again.
Attachments
Ricks machine.zip
(20.77 KiB) Downloaded 122 times