Plexiglass edge trim

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Plexiglass edge trim

Post by Xxray »

Anyone know of a good source for plexi edge trim ?
I have been searching locally, home depots ect, for some kind of channeled PVC or something, so far have come up dry.
Google search yielded next to nothing. This place http://tinyurl.com/acoobl7 looks promising, but they have a 400ft minimum order, don't think I need quite that much.
Basically, I want to put LED strips in the bottom of these for edge lit signs. Nothing too fancy, and not a "stand", per se.
Just something I could clip on to a chunk of etched plexi, and plug in.
May also look into cutting 45's on them for a true frame effect ,,, But first, I gotta find them.

I know all about Lumenedge. Nice product, but priced too high to be an option.
In fact, what they sell is just about what I want to make.
Doug

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Plexiglass edge trim

Post by mezalick »

Here's a few options
C.R. Laurence
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showl ... 7146&pom=0

McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plast ... ls/=k22xqn

Alos, automotive shops should carry something like that for around glass windows.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

David Warkentin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Panther 4x8

Post by David Warkentin »

I had never heard of Lumenedge. Looks like a nice product but pricy in longer lengths. This isn't and answer to your question but does someone have a source they will share for 1/2" acrylic or plexiglass?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks mez, 1st link looks promising, but I'm peeved by sites that make you jump through hoops to find out what cost is for their items, maybe I'll jump later. 2nd one, I don't think a straight up U channel will fit my needs. I need something with a slight inwards angle, for a friction fit.
I'm going to start making a combined LED holder/base out of light gauge brushed aluminum, I got it all planned out in my head ,,,But thats a little ways off and I need something basic, quick. Going on a job site soon where I will sell dozens of edge lit signs.

Dave, best to buy local if possible.
Unless you are out in the boonies, there should be a specialty acrylic shop within 20 miles or so ,,, And many of them will deliver for free, since these outfits tend to make various runs all over the place every day.
If not, this outfit, even with shipping factored in, is pretty reasonable
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexigla ... r_s/21.htm

Prices jump quick the thicker you go.
Doug

David Warkentin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Panther 4x8

Post by David Warkentin »

What thickness do most use? I was thinking 1/2"...Want to make some for gifts. And we are way out in the boonies. Rural Alabama doesn't have too many acrylic shops. Thanks for the source.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I like both 1/4 and 1/2.
Last year I was lucky enough to work at a job that I got a truckload of free 1/2, so until recently I was using that.
When my supply of that dwindled, I went with 1/4. The price difference was just too much.
They both work fine for etching designs. Obviously a bit more depth with 1/2, and its got more of a manly feel to it, thats about it. Other than that, just a matter of preference and what you can afford. As always, the customer is always right ,,, But the guys I sell to don't seem to care all that much. There is literally nothing you can do with one that you can't do with the other.
3/8 is another option, and a compromise between the 2 on thickness as well as pricing.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Bringing this old topic back up, never did find a source for this, now I am in need again.

My problem is I am using 3/8 plexi [.375] and the LED strips are .4. If you try to cram them in a smaller channel they will fail, had it happen numerous times.
So I need a channel of at least .4, and the gripping side in the area of .35.
Found this https://www.trimlok.com/prod/Size-Range ... quantity=1

Looks like it would work in theory, I requested a sample. More than $1 a ft and minimum is 150 ft. If the sample works I'll probably get the roll and I'll be set for life with plexi edging.
What I am doing is making a square plexi sign, I want to wrap it in a LED strip on the bottom and both sides [top too, but no strip just for looks], so obviously I will need some kind of edging. I have wandered home depots ect many times hoping to get lucky, never found anything close. I'm tempted to get a sheet metal brake and roll my own.
Doug

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

id be interested also, hey maybe you could sell lengths of the stuff to recoop your costs..
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

have you seen this aluminum edging? it's made for putting LED strips in for edge-lighting glass/plexi.

http://www.amazon.com/3-28-ft-Anodized- ... B010O63WE0

here's a spec sheet. it looks like there is a size with a width of .41 - big enough for .4 lights.
https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706ba3f ... 1440217956

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

$8 a ft wow, looks like it might fit the bill though.

Guess you'd just have to jack up the price to cover costs and explain to people that extruded aluminum channels are not cheap. I like to stockpile and experiment though, at the price I doubt I'd do much of either. I do have to make a move as a proof of concept though, I'll keep that in mind.
Doug

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

Wow - I hadn't looked at the price. That's a bit over the top. I'm the King of Cheap so I'd be making my own - a strip of wood, route a channel the thickness of the plexiglass end to end, follow up with a dovetail bit to widen the bottom for the LED strips.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I wouldn't mind trying it if only to validate the proof of concept, but it would be tough for the average DIY'er to stockpile material at those prices, alot of folks don't want to wait a week for material to arrive.

True, most of us could just about make something like that with a CNC, table router and chop saw.
Doug

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I machine my (wood) mounts from both sides. One side has the pocket for the acrylic, the other has a thru pocket for the iight (shorter than the acrylic) that is just slightly wider than the LED elements, a 1/32 deep pocket for the tape, and a 1/4" deep pocket for a wood cover. Then some pockets for the connector and the cord to the edge.

One could modify this to make strips that go all the way around.
LED base.jpg
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

My only problem with wood for this application is that it doesn't have "the look" than most business customers are after.

I wanted it for this handicapped plexi bathroom sign I made, for instance, and its just tough to see a wood frame fitting the bill in a business setting. What if I got an order from a bunch of Burger King franchises for instance, they are not going to want wood frames. One off private hair shop/boutique or something, sure. But most outfits would want that factory, generic metal look - Wood to them would look ghetto and unprofessional ,,, Thats my way of thinking anyhow.

So thats why I have shied away so far from attempting to make my own, I just don't think it would suit the market I have in mind.
Attachments
IMG_1231.JPG
Doug

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

well if its a professional environment, that extruded aluminum price shouldn't set them off, if it does, i wouldnt want to do biz with them.
on the other hand a residential or semi commercial might like the wood
i could see carrying a sample of both, along with some plastic for the truly hanging in midair signs
http://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-U-Shape ... 52KSQP5WB8
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn