Text and clip art

Tazman
Model of CNC Machine: UCcnc

Text and clip art

Post by Tazman »

I purchased a used piece of equipment and have little documentation. I have reviewed the tutorials, (some several time). My troubles maybe simple but I can not figure it out. When I insert txt and based on the font an letter I should be able to see the curves being formed by the tool. I can read the output from the post processor and I see no curves or arc's being cut, When I cut the part I can see only straight lines being cut. I have tried several different post processors with the same result. I have drawn circles and they cut fine so I know the translation is working. I am missing something simple I am sure but frustrated at this point. Additionally I have tried to carve a few clip arts and have similar issues. When cutting a tool path the it post out as straight lines, close together so it appears to make an arc but it is still straight line. What am I missing?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Text and clip art

Post by IslaWW »

Tazman...
Other than your perception of the code are your vectors being cut properly?

Many, even most text and graphics don't contain arcs. They are more likely to contain curves.

The reality is that whether curves or arcs they will always be cut as segmented lines. CNC machines do not cut circles, arcs or curves. They are given a position and move to that position in a perfectly straight line. Curved vectors are always made from straight lines when post processed, usually of very short length, and they are unnoticeable to the naked eye. Those segmented circles are either generated by the CAM program or the control software when G2 or G3 codes are given. Either way they should not cut any differently, unless one (CAD or controller) is archaic and outputs longer segments than todays norm.

There are numerous posts about the "evils" of that segmented code, but the reality is that it only affects ill adjusted or defective control software or weak or archaic CAM engines. G2 & G3 codes simply reduce lines of code, which is how and why they were used "back in the day"
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Tazman
Model of CNC Machine: UCcnc

Re: Text and clip art

Post by Tazman »

Thanks for the reply, Straight vectors cut fine and I do understand the small movement can create curves but some of the movements are as much as an inch when trying to cut a "C". Vectric shows it as a rounded curve but when I post it the lines are straight. Although it has been a while I can still generate g codes so I am sure there is something I am missing in the post processor. I will continue with different post processor and see if something clicks.