Change spoilboard?

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48x96

Change spoilboard?

Post by GJHall »

I am finally about ready to get this machine going. I have base on the table with 3/4" baltic birch and them 1" plywood that was available cheap.
I want to put a 1" MDF sheet on top for my spoil board and am looking for how you would hold it down.

I was thinking to glue it but then how do you change it when the time comes? I have heard there are ways to screw it down, but not sure how. This is not a vacuum set up.

I am new to the router world, as I am a welder by trade and cut with a cnc plasma.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gary

RyanS
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Re: Change spoilboard?

Post by RyanS »

There are a million different answers to this question.

The simplets way is to put a screw in the four corners. Preferably where you won't be milling, of course. Simple and effective, but sometimes time consuming and it will make a mess of your spoilboard quickly - so you will have to resurface it every so often.

There are some plastic nails (RAPTOR composite nails) for nailguns that I hear work really well for soft / plywood / mdf. Simply tack em' in and don't fret - you can mill right through them. Haven't used them - but have wanted to. I use mostly hardwoods, and unfortunately the RAPTOR nails don't work so well through them from what I've heard.

You can also get some T-tracks and hold down clamps. This is what I use currently. My favorite clamps are the Shop-fox D3347 cams. They sit about 1/4" high off the spoilboard - and are great for holding things. They are quick and easy, and my favorite method so far.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas. Can't wait to hear some!

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You can make a series of counter sunk screw holes and flat head screws. Make the depth of the counter sinks deep enough so the heads are at least 50% of the thickness of the spoil board deep.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Depending on the framing & supports below the spoilboard, nylon bolts with recessed heads may be workable.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I glue my spoil board down and then just glue a new one down when it's been resurfaced enough times to be down to the original surface again.

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GJHall »

Thank you for your replies.

I think I will glue it down and surface it.

Thanks

Gary

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

I'm like ,Leo. I use 3/4 mdf and countersink holes 3/8 deep and screw with flathead screws. Can surface spoilboard many times and have never hit a screw. Maybe I'm lucky , but have done it like this for 3 years.

Dave

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GJHall »

Adrian wrote:I glue my spoil board down and then just glue a new one down when it's been resurfaced enough times to be down to the original surface again.
Can you explain what glue you use for gluing sheets of mdf together? I want to try doing this and then I will put T tracks on and then put my new board on in sectionss

I might even just glue the full sheet on and them route out for the tracks.

Gary

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I just use standard woodworkers white glue (PVA). Spread it thin with a card on one surface and weigh it down overnight.

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Post by AlanAndrews »

Yes I agree with Adrian.

PVA woodworkers glue with mdf spoil board - 12 thick.

Once dry then surface the top face and repeat periodically as the spoil board wears.

Then simply repeat for replacement spoil board.

I made the spoil board the same size as my machine capability. This is a visual prompt when positioning new material for machining.

I also ran a 3 mm end mill around the outer faces to ensure squareness.

I use 2 strips of 25 thick mdf on x and y axis - screwed into permanent M6 threaded fixings on the vacuum table, and butted to the spoil board to act as material positioning stops. These strips are in turn drilled and fitted with threaded inserts to which I attach my clamps.

The spoil board is drilled with 12mm dia holes that I can also attaching clamping wedges.

GJHall
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GJHall »

Thank you!
I will give it a try this week.

Gary

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

I have 3/4" oak plywood as a base with a 3/4" MDF spoil boar screwed 12" on center so it stays flat. I screw it down from the bottom side and I use aluminum screws, so if I happen to hit one it doesn't hurt the bit. I use 1.25" screws so it's not likely I'll ever will hit one.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

GJHall wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I think I will glue it down and surface it.

Thanks

Gary

If you are setting up a vac table the PVA glue will prevent air from moving through the spoilboard. Just something to remember.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

He's putting t-tracks etc in it.

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Post by AlanAndrews »

I have matching holes through the vacuum table and spoil board.

I can then use the holes in the spoil board as location points for clamping.... dowels seat through the spoil board and vacuum table top.